Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling Appleworks after HD failure

Long story, but my HD died on the mini and the DVD that came with the mini was NOT an OS installation disc. I had to pay Apple $17 to get the correct DVD to get the mini running but the DVD had ZERO applications that came preloaded on the original HD. I don't care about anything but Appleworks and wanted to know how I get that back on the mini. I really don't want to have to pay Apple again and I am a bit concerned about pulling the file off the old HD not knowing if it is corrupted and if you can simply drag and drop the file out of the old Applications folder. Any suggestions?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1Gb DRAM

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:35 AM

7 replies

Apr 27, 2012 8:49 AM in response to Hennesseystealth

Hennesseystealth wrote:

... the DVD that came with the mini was NOT an OS installation disc.

OK, was it the Applications installation disc? If so AppleWorks would be on it.

You can't buy AppleWorks from Apple any longer:

http://www.apple.com/support/appleworks/

... but it is available on the used market: http://www.amazon.com/AppleWorks-6-for-Mac/dp/B00004R8L3

Before buying it try dragging the AppleWorks program from your old HD. There are no special installation utilities for AW. Just drag its icon to your Applications folder.

If the file is corrupted it simply won't work.

Apr 27, 2012 8:53 AM in response to John Galt

Unfortunately, there were only 2 DVDs in the box with the mini (bought from an authorized Apple retailer) and they were OS 10.4 (which turned out to be an upgrade DVD requiring 10.3 to be installed first...of course, 10.3 wasn't included in the box) and iWorks trial. No applications DVD or anything else save the paper user manual.

I will do the drag and drop and see how things go.

Apr 27, 2012 10:04 AM in response to Hennesseystealth

"I…wanted to know…if you can simply drag and drop the file out of the old Applications folder."

Not quite, AppleWorks needs the files and folders included in the AppleWorks 6 folder, not just the application package.

Drag the AppleWorks 6 folder to the Applications folder on the Mini.

AppleWorks will create preference and cache files as it need them. These should not be transfered from the old HD.

Regards,

Barry

PS: AW 6 install disks came in a couple of versions. On earlier ones, the installer application ran on Mac OS 9. Hard Core Mac has had AW 6 installation disks available for some time. To the best of my knowledge, these used an OS X versionn of the installer software.

B

Apr 27, 2012 11:35 AM in response to Barry

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try copying over the folder from my old drive...Unfortunately, neither the old HD or the backup I made to an old 40Gb Maxtor shows up on my mini. Both are readable on Macdrive running on my PC and I formatted the Maxtor to HFS+ before copying data. The old HD shows up in Disk Utility but not on the desktop. The Maxtor doesn't show up in either location. Finder Preferences is properly set to show all drives on the desktop. Any ideas?

Reinstalling Appleworks after HD failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.