Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 install stuck at "expanding windows files (0%)"

I'm going through my first Boot Camp installation and it has been stuck for about 20 minutes already at "Expanding Windows files (0%)." This doesn't seem right. Do I just sit tight or has anyone else experienced this and know how to correct it?

I am using an iMac 20" 2.66GHz with a 100Gb Boot Camp partition and have Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1 DVD.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:00 AM

16 replies

Apr 27, 2012 8:20 AM in response to Ian Lewis

No, why would it, it should not be stuck at all let alone take more than 20 minutes for the entire install..

Maybe the DVD is scratched. Or defective memory molule. But you would have been better with 64-bit. If you bought retail you have both.

If you burned an ISO (Apple does not tell you but we do) that ISOs have to be burned slowest possible.

Apr 27, 2012 8:34 AM in response to Ian Lewis

My 2006 is also liist on the uncompatible list. So there is an extra step to reburn the DVD.

Round about way of saying you bought System Builder? rather than retail which costs more but has both.

You might also have been better with pre-SP1 if you could find it. That does get mentioned from some users.

For free there are Windows 8 CP edition (and release candidate in June) to try, those you do burn from ISO to DVD. Try that.

ALL the support docs, faq etc and manual: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp

For 2010 iMac there is a driver for ATI. By not telling us what model mac, or whether Lion or not - so you downloaod Apple drivers from BCA

Windows 7 install stuck at "expanding windows files (0%)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.