Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with YouTube - iPad app and Safari on iPad

Recently, I have started to encounter problems with YouTube on the iPad. The first is the desktop version of YouTube on safari. At first it worked fine, but a few days ago, whenever I try to watch a video, the playing area stays black and a message appears saying 'This video is currently unavailable.' One 'solution' I found online was to switch to the HTML5 video player in 'TestTube.' However, as the videos had been working before I didn't see why it was necessary, and anyway when I tried it only a few videos worked, with the rest showing the same message I described earlier. The mobile version of the YouTube site woks fine.

The second problem lies with the subscriptions feature of the YouTube app. When I tap the subscriptions button, not all of them show up. I've tried finding a video by the user I want to subscribe to, tapping 'More From', followed by 'Subscribe,' but this brings up the error message 'YouTube not avaliable.' Subscribing to any other channel from the app works fine.

Thanks - any help with either porblem would be greatly appreciated! I don't really want to go to the Apple store, and my free telephone support that came with the iPad finished some time ago.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:14 AM

18 replies

May 2, 2012 7:44 AM in response to David_10

Same problem here. Ipad 3rd gen. Safari and youtube just don't work. It plays like 2 out of 10. This is very frustrating considering we paid for a premium device. Playing youtube videos is a must and not a big deal. Having this usability impaired is really not an option. If i use the youtube app(*****) there are tons of videos not showing. Apple must do something about this goggle vs apple war. It is hurting the users big time.

Jul 1, 2012 7:03 PM in response to David_10

OMG Apple, I'm am fed up with this stupid YouTube problem I paid $500 for my iPad if not more, and I expect better! I cannot view official music videos, episodes and I can't even view 2 out of 10 videos I search for. stop trying to make people buy from your stupid iTunes store and let them be able to view all videos on YouTube. Anyone who asks me if I'd recommend and iPad, you know what I say? Its not worth the money because the reason I got an iPad was being able to have freedom just like a pc and clearly I don't have that. They ask me; can an iPad do everything a pc can do, and I say no it can't, all because I can't view videos properly on YouTube. I'm 15 and saved for an iPad and it took me 2 years, $500 I regret spending!

Kind regards

Jul 16, 2012 3:29 PM in response to David_10

I'm sorry, but does NOBODY see this as a google 'propoganda' issue. I mean, nothing changed on apple's end, yet 'all of a sudden' YouTube videos, en-mass, stopped working for a good majority? YouTube is a GOOGLE product, not an apple product. So if google wants YouTube to work on a large portion of their customer base, then they need to ensure that it works on those devices... iTunes doesn't have user videos, so why is this apple trying to force iTunes down users throats? YouTube needs its users, but they can't track you as well on iOS as they can on google android.

Wake up people! Of course, you could solve the problem by getting a google android tablet, at a cheaper price, with a google android phone, search the Internet with google, see adverts on every website you visit from google, buy apps from the google android store, watch videos on the Internet from googles YouTube, get your email and calendar and word and excel from google, get directions from google... Of course, they will protect your privacy from data mining, just like they did with the street view data mining they did on you, all the while in the back pocket of the NSA.

They are forcing google onto you all because they want to know everything about you, you friends, your movements, your patterns etc... They are trying to make the iPad experience poorer so that you will believe that android is better for you! Just ask yourself why is it that all my Vimeo videos work, but not all YouTube anymore when they did a while back?

Reminds me of another company that did such clandestine efforts. Anyone remember how many websites suddenly wouldn't work properly unless you had Microsoft Internet explorer? Look how much damage that caused the industry.

Research it. Know it. Be free from it. Now push google to fix it will ya'all!

Rant over.

Problems with YouTube - iPad app and Safari on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.