Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight keeps indexing

I've tried the few solutions in this forum but none work.

I can't figure out how to stop Spotlight indexing, as it's been doing it since yesterday.

Any tips?

Macbook 2.4Ghz (White) 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Logic Studio 8, Safari 5.0.2, iLife 08, iWork 08, Aperture 2

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:24 AM

9 replies

Apr 27, 2012 12:15 PM in response to TresRoque

Try the following: {This will delete the Spotlight database and tell it to start over}

1) From the Terminal

>sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight-V100/*

2) Reboot

NOTE: It will take a couple of hours to reindex your hard drive. "Don't Panic"

and if you have any large mounted drives you don't want indexed, in the Spotlight System Preferences, select the Privacy tab and add the volumes you dont want indexed.

Apr 27, 2012 11:23 PM in response to Gerry Brown

Hi. I did that workaround in between waiting for another response:

1. Go to System Preferences
  2. Choose Spotlight
  3. Privacy tab
  4. Select the User

I then left it a few minutes to 'kick in' and hey presto! Spotlight ceased indexing. I then deselected the User profile from Spotlight, meaning I can use it again.

Thanks for your help, though. I've filed it away for another day when Spotlight will most certainly do this again.

Mar 17, 2014 7:09 PM in response to TresRoque

so I've been annoyed to **** with spotlight for the last few weeks, only looking at it on and off. warning this will rebuild spotlight indexes of all drives afaik

Tried and failed:

system preferences, spotlight, privacy, add and remove the drive

sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight-V100/

sudo mdutil -ai off then sudo -ai on

sudo mdutil -E /

many of these have worked in the past, but osx had me in for some fun

finally after finding nothing, and after all these steps watching spotlight reindex into eternity...

SUCCESS!!!:

dsenableroot (type your admin password then set a root password - note you won't see typing as the pw is hidden)

logout

login, select other user

login as root/the password you just set

rm -rf /.Spotlight-V100/

mdutil -ai off

mdutil -ai on

mdutil -E /

then logout, login as your admin again, open terminal

sudo dsenableroot -d

type user pw

type root pw if needed

spotlight pwned

i know some of these steps are redundant, but might as well blow the #$%&%er away as reliably as possible. SUCH a simple fix can't believe i didn't think of it before. this also isn't the first time i've seen osx need you fully logged in as root to get rid of a strange issue. pfft.

Spotlight keeps indexing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.