Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete a template from Pages?

I want to delete a custom template I created in Pages. How can I do this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:57 AM

Best to do this with Pages not running (Quit it if it is running).

While in Finder, hold down the Option key and open the Go menu - a new item Library will be added; select it. This will open the hidden Library folder in your home folder.

In the Library window, locate and open the Application Support folder.

In the Application Support folder, locate and open the iWork folder.

In the iWork folder, open the Pages folder.

In the Pages folder, open the Templates folder.

In the Templates folder, open the My Templates folder.

Locate and throw away the template you don't aant anymore - drag it into the Trash, or select it and press Command-Delete

Close everything up. You can do this quickly by holding down the Option key and clicking the Close button (red button) on any open window - all of them will close.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Community User

Best to do this with Pages not running (Quit it if it is running).

While in Finder, hold down the Option key and open the Go menu - a new item Library will be added; select it. This will open the hidden Library folder in your home folder.

In the Library window, locate and open the Application Support folder.

In the Application Support folder, locate and open the iWork folder.

In the iWork folder, open the Pages folder.

In the Pages folder, open the Templates folder.

In the Templates folder, open the My Templates folder.

Locate and throw away the template you don't aant anymore - drag it into the Trash, or select it and press Command-Delete

Close everything up. You can do this quickly by holding down the Option key and clicking the Close button (red button) on any open window - all of them will close.

May 3, 2012 7:00 AM in response to Don Archibald

Great answer. I have spent ages trying to find out how to delete templates. Everyone seems to give an answer as if everyone is a computor wizard. (I am not). This answer was so well laid out and easy to follow. My problem solved in 2 min. Would be great for others to follow your lead and answer forums this way. You're a blessing to us of little computor knowledge.

Oct 25, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Community User

Don Archibald - THANK YOU for those specifically wonderful directions! I did it instantly, and it worked! AFTER that, I wanted to convey my gratitude by putting a comment here, but I needed to LOGIN first. Hah! That was a nightmare...seems my Apple ID was "mixed up" a bit... why not? I only have been with Apple since 1984. Why should I have a problem NOW? I went through the motions...and 30 minutes later...here I am!

I was not going to let Apple Confusion take over...was committed to thanking you here! Now I can thank others who have solutions that are NOT IN THE i.e. "PAGES HELP"... section. That cracks me up. Why do we need to google help...because the answer is not forthcoming in the application help section? Beats me. Not the first time I could not get an answer with the application help section...for Pages, in particular.

We have to keep looking out for each other, it seems. That's fine with me. We are all Apple Kids, after all!

Jimbo

Nov 20, 2013 12:02 PM in response to BeachFrontVillasHawaii

Are you using Pages 5.0? This thread is about earlier Pages.

I found this information in the Pages 5.0 Help, available from your Pages Help menu

Rename or delete a custom template

1. In the template chooser, Control-click the template name, then choose Rename or Delete.
  2. If you’re renaming, type a new name, then press Return.

Custom templates always appear in the My Templates category in the template chooser. You can’t rearrange templates; they always appear in the order in which they were added.

Jan 30, 2014 2:58 AM in response to Community User

You guys may have solved this but I have been trying to all the suggested solutions above and when i get to the template folder it is empty! Nothing to delete!

However, not sure if this is a new fix, but if you right click, ctrl click, on the template you wish to delete in template chooser in pages you can now delete it from there.

This is for people who dont know how to do it still and find the above solution not relevant anymore.

How can I delete a template from Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.