Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No 'happy medium' w/videos?

Is there a way to achieve a 'happy medium' when it comes to having to choose between a small yet clear video versus a full-screen but inferior one? Are there any apps or extensions that allow one to choose 'medium' size(s) when using Safari or Firefox or Opera? I have a 5 Mbps DSL connection, plenty of RAM, a zippy iMac, not much else running, etc...

Sure, there are times when full-screen comes in fine but many other times I have to revert (via esc key) to a sardine can sized view.

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac8,1 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo/4 GB

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:16 PM

The happy medium is a 20+ mb/s download speed, not 5 mb/s.

Larger screen video has more pixels to transmit, thus the need for faster Internet download speeds.

You can trade time for quality, instead of streaming you can wait and download the whole full screen video first, then watch it later.

Not all sites allow this as people will steal the content, and if your on 5 mb/s, you usually have a monthly bandwidth cap set by your ISP.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2012 2:16 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

The happy medium is a 20+ mb/s download speed, not 5 mb/s.

Larger screen video has more pixels to transmit, thus the need for faster Internet download speeds.

You can trade time for quality, instead of streaming you can wait and download the whole full screen video first, then watch it later.

Not all sites allow this as people will steal the content, and if your on 5 mb/s, you usually have a monthly bandwidth cap set by your ISP.

Apr 28, 2012 8:38 AM in response to Marc Wilson

Absolutely, Marc... I realize that and I thank you.

I'm locked in @ 5 Mbps... I rent in the middle of nowhere (also known as rural Oklahoma). Thus, my options are quite limited. 5 Mbps for $19.99/mo. for the next year; at least for now.

Since ds store kindly set me straight, I'm diligently working on the alternative method that he suggested of downloading video files in their entirety; that is, if & when a website allows me to do that.

If a developer came out w/something that allowed users like myself w/capped bandwidth to select... say a 1/2 or a 2/3rds view; well, I would think that there's money to be made, no?

Otherwise, I know that there has to be a way to accomplish this, albeit using Snow Leopard.

Thanks 😀

No 'happy medium' w/videos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.