Skip navigation

No 'happy medium' w/videos?

270 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2012 8:38 AM by Michael Murphy3 RSS
Michael Murphy3 Level 2 Level 2 (165 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 27, 2012 1:13 PM

Is there a way to achieve a 'happy medium' when it comes to having to choose between a small yet clear video versus a full-screen but inferior one? Are there any apps or extensions that allow one to choose 'medium' size(s) when using Safari or Firefox or Opera? I have a 5 Mbps DSL connection, plenty of RAM, a zippy iMac, not much else running, etc...

Sure, there are times when full-screen comes in fine but many other times I have to revert (via esc key) to a sardine can sized view.

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac8,1 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo/4 GB
  • ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)
    Apr 27, 2012 2:16 PM (in response to Michael Murphy3)

The happy medium is a 20+ mb/s download speed, not 5 mb/s.

Larger screen video has more pixels to transmit, thus the need for faster Internet download speeds.

You can trade time for quality,  instead of streaming you can wait and download the whole full screen video first, then watch it later.

Not all sites allow this as people will steal the content, and if your on 5 mb/s, you usually have a monthly bandwidth cap set by your ISP.

• Marc Wilson Level 3 Level 3 (970 points)
    Apr 27, 2012 3:50 PM (in response to Michael Murphy3)

You *do* understand that many times, the only thing $RANDOM_SITE is serving is a lower resolution copy of a video, right?  Blow that up, and it's going to pixelate, no matter how fast your machine or internet connection are.

• ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)
    Apr 27, 2012 5:10 PM (in response to Marc Wilson)

True, if the site is only serving a small image then one could have 10000 mb/s and it won't matter.

Usually sites test your download speed and send the appropriate sized content, if you can find a way around this and download direclty then you perhaps can get the full screen image.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.