Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'netsh winsock reset', the cure-all for iTunes misbehavior

Why does iTunes for Windows so frequently need 'netsh winsock reset' to be run in cmd line and then rebooted?

Almost any CPU stuck at 100%, trouble connecting to iTunes store, hanging iPhone backup, hanging iPhone sync, issue can be resolved with this winsock reset..

I have the latest iTunes, and I have to issue the reset command above at least once a week to resolve one or more of the above mentioned problems. I have tried cleaning out and re-installing. This does nothing unless the winsock reset command is also run.

And this has been going on for several iTunes versions. Apple, I hope your devs figure out how to program for Windows and resolve this once and for all

EDIT: Found a very good link in another thread, explaining how iTunes conflicts with a long list of other Windows software... Perhaps it would be a good idea to resolve the conflict from Apple's side, since iTunes is the conflicting program...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4123

EDIT2: I have none of the listed conflicting programs installed, so there are certainly a long list of others as well.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:06 PM

That's because there is a program re-inserting the LSP. Refer to this article, download and run Autotuns and see any winsock provider other than Apple's Bonjour.

iTunes for Windows: May see performance issues and blank iTunes Store

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4123?viewlocale=en_US

5 replies

Apr 27, 2012 2:26 PM in response to wiclee

Thanks, I also found that link in another thread.

The only other programs listed there on my system, which is only a month old, and hasn't had time to become too polluted, are all by "Microsoft Corporation"...

So it contains two Apple entries, Bonjour, and around 20 Microsoft entries. I would suggest it is Apple's responsibility to fix this on their end, and not expect Microsoft to modify the OS to suit Apple's Bonjour implementation.

Current iTunes version: 10.6.1.7. Problem first experienced mid to end of last year, older iTunes, different system.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 all updates installed.

Apr 27, 2012 2:50 PM in response to n808n808

I just wanted to add that, even though the referenced article was useful explaining the problem, it does not contain the essential information on how to (temporarily) fix the issue with the 'netsh winsock reset' command. Instead it blaims the 3rd parties, in my case Microsoft, and suggests we contact them for a resolution/update. It really should have pointed to or mentioned the winsock reset info.

I also included a screenshot from autoruns on my system, showing that there are only Microsoft entries along with the two Apple entries.

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2012 4:47 PM in response to n808n808

n808n808,

Looks like you may have a trojan/Malware on your computer. Despite you having antivirus program on your system, sometimes these trojans and Malware can still sneak through. Therefore, there is no point scanning your system in normal mode and they might have disabled the function of your Antivirus program,

Can you scan your system for possible Trojan/Malware, but you have to do it in Windows Safe Mode.

Start your computer in "Safe mode with networking", go to this link download a free version of Malwarebyte.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Install and perform update immediately, then do a full SCAN. Remove malware if it indeed finds any. Restart computer to regular windows to let Malwarebyte complete the removal and delete entries in the registry.

To start your computer in safe mode

Press and hold the F8 key as your computer starts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the "safe mode with networking" option, and then press Enter. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of your screen. To exit safe mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.

Apr 27, 2012 5:28 PM in response to wiclee

Thanks, wiclee, I am well aware of the danger. I already run regular scans, and know well what to avoid. Therefore, my systems have never yet been infected. However, one can never be 100% sure, these types of programs can outsmart anybody, so I took the time to install and run your suggested software in Safe mode, since it is one alternative I had not yet tried. It seems popular so why not.. Nothing found.

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

Then I thought, perhaps it is something that's not always there (in the Winsock Provider section)... and that made me think of the VPN software I have. Lo and behold, when one of its options is enabled, there are additional Winsock Providers!

Since I accept it's very likely Apple's software plays nice with Microsoft's, this must be the culprit in my case.

Still, I maintain my opinion that when Apple's software, even though it may be written 100% by the book, runs into so many conflicts, and in all their software, they should have tried really hard to find a work-around or detection mechanism to avoid this problem. I think it must be the one Windows problem causing the most amount of frustrated user hours, bacause it's not easy to find a solution, it hits all of Apple's Windows software, with a variety of symptoms.

I have experienced most of the problems listed in the link, and when you search for those terms, the 'netsh winsock reset' solution is seldom among the first hits. I remember the first time I tried it, I found a discussion thread discussing something entirely different than the problem I had then - but I tried the winsock reset, and it worked. Perhaps all Apple Windows software should add a Help Menu option. "Problems: Try this first: Fix Me!"

'netsh winsock reset', the cure-all for iTunes misbehavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.