Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi option is greyed and cant turn on whats wrong??

trying to turn wifi on and the option is greyed out....why would it be doing this

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:39 PM

There's a hardware failure. Return your phone to Apple.

8 replies

Nov 18, 2012 8:22 PM in response to glitterlove

If its under warranty, yes. I got a new 4S. Same thing happened within two days got another 4S and stayed with ios5.

They (genius bar) say it's a hardware problem. Ether ios6 is causing the hardware oroblem or there is no hardware problem. Either way t has to be ios6. And from what I've read 6.0.1 did not help.

I think there will have to be a reckoning on this issue for people that had to pay to replace the hardware that Apple's own software update fried. Good luck.

Jan 5, 2013 3:16 PM in response to Kerry78

Just to add my 2p worth.

I turned the light on the phone on and kept doing video recording to drain the battery, I let it die completely, recharged it and the wireless came back on. Powering on and off through the software and power on buttons didn't work. None of the other suggestions I'd read were any help, and to be honest some were stupid. Your method of draining the battery is up to you, the light and video is a good way to drain it quickly.

The best thing I can think of is that there is some hardware on the wifi that gets put in an inconsistent state and that powering on and off does not fix it as there could be some sort of trickle going through the hardware to keep it alive. Draining the battery allows the hardware to be really turned off and it puts it back into the right state.

Of course your milage may vary, but its a simple option to try and costs nothing.

wifi option is greyed and cant turn on whats wrong??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.