Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silent install of MDM enrollment fails with Apple Configurator

We are hoping to use Apple Configurator to do and "Silent" install of our Jamf MDM enrollment profile. There is a great white paper on how to do this but it just is not working. What we are finiding is that the wifi settings profile will install just fine but when both the wifi and enrollment profiled are both installed it errors our. Also, if we manualy connect the wifi and then push the enrollment profile with AC then it installs and enrolls just fine.

Here are the error logs form Console:

4/27/12 3:13:02.219 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1439587ms Required IPSW is not in the library. We will attempt to download from the server. (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Applicati on/Models/CDDevicePolicy.m:277)

4/27/12 3:13:06.790 PM Apple Configurator: _MobileDevicePair_locked (thread 0x10ed1c000): Could not pair with the device: kAMDProhibitedBySupervision

4/27/12 3:13:07.140 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1444508ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:07.140 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1444508ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:07.503 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1444871ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:08.702 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1446070ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:08.702 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1446070ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:08.866 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1446233ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:08.957 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1446325ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:08.957 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1446325ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:09.694 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: WARN - 1447061ms MDK Device used on main thread. This is not desirable (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Mobile Device Kit/MDKDevice.m:1244)

4/27/12 3:13:09.694 PM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.configurator: ERROR - 1447062ms Apply policy of UDID:6b852435f78c815c4b0fefc1a5da2c9a4bd7f376 failed: Error Domain=com.apple.configurator.ErrorDomain Code=5026 "Unable to install configuration profile. Profile installation failed. Unlock device and try again." UserInfo=0x7fa547038140 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7fa5470daf30 "Profile installation failed. Unlock device and try again."} (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-110/Applicati on/Controllers/CDDeviceController.m:445)

This should work but there is somthing causing it to hang up. Anyone have ideas??

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:26 PM

8 replies

May 10, 2012 12:57 PM in response to mikesch

We too are having the same problem. I believe it is related to the wi-fi not picking up an ip address before the enrollment profile has been loaded. That is when the enrollment profile errors out. I have also tried to create a backup with the wi-fi connected but the password does not stick in the backup. If there is a trick, I too would love to see it. I think the simplest solution would be if the configurator would allow us to install profiles one at a time in the supervision pane. That way, we can install the wi-fi profile, wait for it to connect and the install the enrollment profile. I wish I could be more help but knowing you aren't alone can be reassuring.

May 10, 2012 3:05 PM in response to ptgd1st

Working with Jamf we found a way that this is working. From JAMF:

First, open Configurator and go to Prepare. Leave the device name blank, and turn Supervision on. Do not select any other options or any profiles. Hit Prepare and connect a device. Once it runs through the process and the device is Supervised, then manually go through the activation process until you finally reach the Home screen on the iPad. Now, in Configurator, go to the Devices menu up in the Menu Bar, and choose Backup. Save a backup of this device. Once this is done, we can UnSupervise the device through Configurator which will restore it to factory defaults. Once done, unplug the cable from the device.

Now, go to the Prepare tab, choose your naming scheme for the devices, and turn Supervision on. Leave iOS set to Latest, and for Restore, make sure you choose the backup we just created. For Profiles, select your wireless and enrollment profiles. Hit the Prepare button, and connect your device. What will happen is the backup will be restored, and the wireless and enrollment processes will be completed, leaving you with an active and fully enrolled device. Any additional devices connected will follow the same activation process.

I have tested and it is working well!!

Jun 14, 2012 12:06 PM in response to ptgd1st

Passcodes from users can cause fails.

I had an issue where if a device has a passcode set, both restore and profile installations will fail. You have to either disable it or enter the passcode before plugging it into a running process. If you're doing both in one process, you should get a passcode dialogue to enter before the profile installs. If you don't do it in about 5 seconds, it will fail.

Jun 20, 2012 11:49 AM in response to mikesch

Thanks for posting this...this is working great. I did however need to add my wireless to the iPad before doing the back up. I don't think it was getting a DHCP address quick enough to communicate back to the JAMF software.

backing up/restoring in the process however causes me another issue. I have 30 locations that I need to distribute laptops to that will run configurator. I need to be able to set them up and keep them updated remotely and keep them standardized. So my question is this.....

Is there any way to copy the backup file created, over to another machine running configurator? I can grab profiles that can be imported and exported, but see no way of grabbing the "backup file"? I have done a search of OS X and cannot find a backup by the name used?

Thanks in advance

Jul 24, 2012 1:19 PM in response to bcsdtech

In order to get the com.apple.configurator file, you must first go to the terminal and punch in the command to show hidden files.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Viewing_hidden_files_on_a_Mac

Once you show hidden folders, navigate to ~/users/"username"/library/application support/

Find the com.apple.configurator file and copy it to your back up location. I have seen in other forums where users have successfully used multiple com.apple.configurator folders in on one computer. I have not personally tried it though.

Jul 31, 2012 9:43 AM in response to mikesch

I had the same problem using AC to install a MDM enrollment profile for Profile Manager. I agree that it is probably something going on with IP because when I remove any iPad from our cart, activate it and reconnect it to the cart, it automatically installs the enrollment profile because by then it has an IP address. The work around I am using:

1. Go to the Prepare screen in AC.

2. Set the name and numbering you wish to use.

3. Turn Supervise On.

4. Set iOS to Latest.

5. Set Restore to Don't Restore Backup.

6. Check only the Wifi profile - the only payload we have in ours is Wifi.

7. Click Prepare.

8. Once that is finished, go to the Supervise screen.

9. Select All iPads.

10. Make sure Name is set to No Change. Restore still set to Don't Restore Backup.

11. Check the profiles you wish to install - keep Wifi checked too.

12. Check the Apps you wish to install.

12. Click Refresh.

13. When finished, the battery charge indicator should show by each iPad.

This sounds like it takes a lot of time, but it really doesn't because you are basically doing the same thing, just part of it on the Prepare screen and part on the Supervise screen. This seems like it is giving Wifi a head start.

I hope this helps. If anyone comes up with anything better, please let us know.

Silent install of MDM enrollment fails with Apple Configurator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.