Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My hard drive crashed, but I've got Match. How can I get all 12,000 tracks back?

I decided to go totally digital at New Year's and bought an external hard drive for my laptop and copied 400+ CDs to it. I also moved over my existing iTunes library and purchases to this external drive. I then subscribed to iTunes Match and sent all 12,000+ tracks to the cloud/Match and so I had my iPhone and iPad running my entire library, in addition to my laptop with external drive, which was great. For a few months.

Then the other week, my external hard drive just totally crapped out. I had a technician look at it and he says it's toast.

When I get a new external hard drive, what's the easiest way to get all my music from the cloud/Match (sorry if I'm getting the lingo wrong) synched to this new hard drive? I've been searching for the answer to this forever with no joy.

Windows 7, iTunes 10.6

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:58 PM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2012 8:28 AM in response to knanner

FAQ: Why iTunes Match can NOT be used as a backup!

The best way to get your music back is to restore it from the local backup you kept before the external HDD crashed. You might also find this Apple KB article helpful: Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store.

Alternatly, multiple tracks can be downloaded from iTM by highlighting the ones you want to download, right-clicking and selecting "download."

My hard drive crashed, but I've got Match. How can I get all 12,000 tracks back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.