Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to import movies to new iPad

I have a new iPad and a 27 inch iMac. I want to import some movies from the iMac to the iPad.

The movies are in iTunes and iMovie on the iMac.

The movies are both AVI and MOV.

When the iPad is opened in iTunes, many movies are shown as able to sync, but not all.

1. How do I import those movies onto the iPad?

2. iPad is never shown in FINDER?

Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:36 PM

7 replies

Apr 27, 2012 3:01 PM in response to sirgunther

The easiest way to play these videos on your iPad is with a 3rd party video player app. You can find many in the iTunes App Store. Some are free, usually with limitations, and the best ones are usually paid. Be sure to get one specifically for the iPad and you won't have issues with it filling the display with video.

Video files for these apps are no stored in the iTunes video content library, but can be directly transferred to the app using the iTunes app on your computer. You add the files to the video app with your iPad connected to iTunes in the File Sharing area at the bottom of the Apps pane.

I use VLC, but that is no longer available in the iTunes App Store. We are hoping the developers get over their personal issues and that VLC 2 will be available in the App Store soon.

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2012 3:07 PM in response to Dah•veed

Thanks.

I am a simple guy with a simple need. I would like to view the video I took with my iPod (5th G) on my iPad.

I have dozens of short videos of students talking, taken with my iPod, and I would like to import them onto the iPad and use it as a teaching tool in class.

iPod video to iPad, seemed doable.

I do not understand why some movies/videos show up as "syncable" and others do not.

I just presumed that videos made with Apple products would show on other Apple products.

Must iMovie convert the videos to some other format for iPad?

Apr 27, 2012 3:23 PM in response to sirgunther

Another way. You can use a USB flash drive & the camera connection kit.

Plug the USB flash drive into your computer & create a new folder titled DCIM. Then put your movie/photo files into the folder. The files must have a filename with exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension (i.e., my-movie.mov; DSCN0164.jpg).

Now plug the flash drive into the iPad using the camera connection kit. Open the Photos app, the movie/photo files should appear & you can import. (You can not export using the camera connection kit.)

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Apr 27, 2012 3:30 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks. I did not get the camera connection kit. I figured I would just download movies from the camera to the computer and then from the computer to the iPad.

But, what about the videos made with the iPod.

Again, some iPod movies show up as syncable, but not all. I do not understand why some movies in iMovie and iPhoto show up as syncable, but not all.

Baffling at this point.

Thanks again.

I want to import movies to new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.