Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect remotely to my mac mini server from my macbook pro?

I have a macbook pro (lion OS) and a mac mini server (snow leopard OS). They are on the

same local area network. I can access disks on the mini server from the macbook pro

(these have been set up as remotely accessible disks). I just connect using my mac mini

user ID and password. But I want to be able to remotely log in to the mini server from the

macbook pro. I've tried everything imaginable, using my normal ID and password and the

password set up on the mini under sharing / computer settings. But either way

it keeps giving me authentication errors. The server lists me under the "allow access"

list, but even when I tell it to allow "all users" to access, it gives me an authentication error when I

vnc in. (vnc does find the server, but doesn't like my ID/password.)

Strangely enough, I can do it from a PC using the "ultra VNC" application for the PC.

I had to use the password under the sharing / computer settings menu, but it worked.

But I cannot get the macbook pro to do it. (Ultra VNC is a PC program. I don't think

it would run on a mac).

I've read about Apple Remote Desktop, but this seems to be for the reverse - letting

the server access the remote computers. I want to do it the other way around.

Can anyone help me?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), The other is a Macbook Pro

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 4:05 PM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2012 6:48 PM in response to Csound1

This talks about a Lion server but mine is snow leopard.

Also, I'm very new to Macs and don't understand the article that was referenced.

- It describes how to set up a server. My server is already set up and running. It was set up two years ago\

and has been running fine. I just want to be able to use it from my macbook pro because the server

normally doesn't have a monitor or keyboard connected to it. I know this can be done because the

technician who set up my server two years ago did this from his macbook pro.

- I don't have a copy of Server app (or don't know what it is and cannot find it)

How do I connect remotely to my mac mini server from my macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.