Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore Mail 5.2 3-column interface?

I'm having problems with Mail 5.2. I can't seem to get back to widescreen layout in my mac mail. I'm not sure what I did, but is there a way to get the 3-way split screen back? I went into Preferences and tried that, but nothing changes. I've read that once you go back to classic mail, you cannot get the widescreen layout back. Anyway, tried the Letterbox app. as well, is not working on Mail 5.2.

Any help would be nice. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), My boss' laptop.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 4:15 PM

5 replies

May 3, 2012 4:31 PM in response to Courcoul

Courcoul,

Thanks for replying. Your suggestion did not work, unfortunatelly. I could see the mail layout changing from classic to the new one and back, but the 3-column interface did not reappear. I remember doing this before, without any positive results, just thought I'd give it another try, just in case. So, nothing so far. Any other suggestions? It's beyond my apple mail knowledge, obviously. I would like to get this fixed for my boss, as I have screwed it up somehow 😟 . I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2012 3:14 PM in response to mirojoan89

I had the same problem and just stumbled on the solution. If you go to the far right of the Mac mail window pane in your current layout, the arrow will turn into a cursor. Just double click with your mouse and voila, the 3 column widescreen layout is back. Why on earth this is not published anywhere is beyond me. I was so frustrated and fluked on the solution. I hope that answers your question. Worked for me and I'm thrilled to have the 3 columns back.

Nov 23, 2012 2:20 PM in response to ozzie123

Wonderful and thank you for the cursor info which is VERY tricky to get a hold of in the far right column - nearly missed it the first few times I tried.

Also, I get my 3 columns back then try to re-size and it AUTO-CLICKS to the far right.

I had to try about 3 times and now tread very cautiously.

Will be submitting feedback as Mail is so touchy in other ways too and it would be nice to have a more stable interface.

SO glad you posted!

How to restore Mail 5.2 3-column interface?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.