Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I Get an iMac, Macbook Pro, or iPad (3rd Generation))

I'm getting a new "computer" this summer, and I was wondering: Which Apple Device is right for me: iPad 3, iMac, or Macbook Pro? I realize WWDC is this summer (a day after I was planning on getting a Macbook Pro, June 10, which is my birthday) and Apple will be releasing/ unveiling their new products there. I realized that the iMac is more bang for your buck, but people are starting to lean towards portable devices, such as laptops over desktops, and tablets over laptops (mostly). I had planned to get a Macbook Pro (when the 2012 models come out) as of Sunday, April 22. But, as I realized that the prices for each are so different, considering their value, I realized this:

iMac:

"Land" - Locked

More Power for money (student discount)

Will last me longer (at least 2.5 years)

Macbook Pro:

Portable

Costs less (as of student discount)

iPad 3:

Even More Portable

Costs even Less.

Considering these, which do think I should get by the following:

Me:

Go upstate every once a month or so.

Going on vacation in the summer w/ family.

Do light gaming (Sims 3, Civ 5, Spore; not much)

Plan on bragging about being the only one in family w/ Mac (bring to relatives' houses to prove a point to my cousin that he's not the one w/ the coolest computer)

Lots of Word Processing (can use pages on iPad)

w/ iPad, I'll have more money to use on accessories (Step dad giving me $500 towards computer, I'll have $350 by June 10)

Mostly do web browsing.

Want to use in school (high school)

If I get an iPad, I can afford to upgrade it every year, but not the Macs

Will be reading lots of books next year (will be taking AP English)

Lots of notes next year (Doing Government in Social Studies next year)

Will use iTunes U if needed

Need something to fit in backpack if using in school.

Not sure if teacher will allow laptops/ tablets.

Mostly do my computing at home

So what do you think? Should I get an iMac, Macbook Pro, or an iPad 3? Thanks! Best answer gets 5 ***** for the long reading!

iPod touch, iOS 5.1, Black, almost had for a year

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 7:20 PM

If you don't need heavy duty portable computing power, how about an iMac AND an iPad? Might be able to get both (look in the refurbished section of the Store for the iMac) for the price of a fully decked MBP. Pretty sure the humongous display on the iMac + the Retina display on the iPad 3rd Gen will cause cousin to pee in envy...

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2012 7:20 PM in response to bjmay18

If you don't need heavy duty portable computing power, how about an iMac AND an iPad? Might be able to get both (look in the refurbished section of the Store for the iMac) for the price of a fully decked MBP. Pretty sure the humongous display on the iMac + the Retina display on the iPad 3rd Gen will cause cousin to pee in envy...

Apr 27, 2012 7:38 PM in response to bjmay18

Wow, using computers in school. I remember when I went, teachers flipped out if you had as much as a cell phone 😝

A couple things I would like to point out:

1.) WWDC /=/ product releases. While it is likely, no one knows for a fact what will happen at WWDC other than usual events. I would expect it, but don't jump the gun and say "a new Mac will be launched at WWDC", because they have been released before WWDC.

2.) The iPad is in a different tier than Mac, IMO. I believe iPads should be supplements to PC's, since if troubleshooting need occur, you must still have a PC to restore. (Mac is PC). So say if you suddenly go into Recovery mode, you will be stuck until you find a PC to restore to. One downfall of iOS devices, so for that reason, I will not recommend the iPad alone.

If you plan to do most of your computing at home, I would get the iMac. I am a college student, and plan on replacing my Macbook Pro (selling it) with an iMac if I can afford it. I agree with you on the "bang for your buck", but even then, iMac is still pricey. With $850, you're still shy $300 of the $1149 price w/education discount. If you want to upgrade your processor (which I would), that's even more $. Plus, software if you need it.

What exactly are you going to do with a Mac that you cannot do with a Windows PC (outside of just using the Mac OS)? The playing field is leveling out quite a bit. But, if you plan on developing of any sort, get a Mac.

Should I Get an iMac, Macbook Pro, or iPad (3rd Generation))

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.