Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Consolidate iTune Libraries

Hello,

I just inherited my wife's old iPhone and I want to consolidate her iTunes Library.itl —which the iPhone has been synced to—with my iTunes Library.itl.

I copied her iTunes LIbrary.itl into my /Music/iTunes folder, where my .itl lives; then went into iTunes > Organize Libary > Consolidate files. When I hit OK I saw files being copied over, but when I go back into my iTunes interface, I don't see any of the files from the 'imported' iTunes Library.itl come over.

Any suggestions for getting this to work are much appreciated. : )

Thanks.

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.7.3), 8 GB Memory

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 9:11 PM

"I just inherited my wife's old iPhone and I want to consolidate her iTunes Library.itl"

This is not possible. The .itl file is simply a database. It does not contain any media.

You cannot import it.

" When I hit OK I saw files being copied over, but when I go back into my iTunes interface, I don't see any of the files from the 'imported' iTunes Library.itl come over."

Because you did not import anything.

Are you trying to get the media from her iTunes library into your iTunes library?

File > Add to library and select the iTunes folder with her media.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2012 9:11 PM in response to ramonekalsaw

"I just inherited my wife's old iPhone and I want to consolidate her iTunes Library.itl"

This is not possible. The .itl file is simply a database. It does not contain any media.

You cannot import it.

" When I hit OK I saw files being copied over, but when I go back into my iTunes interface, I don't see any of the files from the 'imported' iTunes Library.itl come over."

Because you did not import anything.

Are you trying to get the media from her iTunes library into your iTunes library?

File > Add to library and select the iTunes folder with her media.

How To Consolidate iTune Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.