Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This content requires HDCP for playback. HDCP isn't supported by your HDMI connection." I am totally frustrated. Done everything up to total restore. Help!

Suddenly I can't use apple my TV. Not for itunes store, Netflix, YouTube. I have changed no cables or settings but I get the message "This content requires HDCP for playback. HDCP isn't supported by your HDMI connection." I am totally frustrated. Done everything up to total restore. Help!

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 12:31 AM

11 replies

Apr 28, 2012 8:27 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Yes, I've unplugged everything, waited and plugged in. I've reset the modem. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the device. Ive tested the connectivity Rate...all good. I've restarted restored and reset all accounts on the device. Nothing has worked. I feel something has changed with the service, as nothing has changed on my end other than this device is currently costing me troubleshooting time instead of providing an entertaining break! Everything works on

My iMac but that's not why I bought an apple tv.

Apr 29, 2012 9:43 AM in response to childofstone

Fixed this last night. Pulled all the HDMI cables out of the back of the Atv, receiver, and projector. I switched them so the cable between the receiver and projector is now the one between the receiver (2nd port instead of 1st) and Atv. Voila! It works (last night anyway).

Here's what I still don't understand. All my components are up on a valance shelf at ceiling level. They are never touched, cables don't get pulled loose etc. so how did this happen in the first place? It seems like the HDCP is unstable. Whether this is apple or intel it needs work as the 'fix' is just as variable as the problem timing. Just look at other threads on this topic. There is this 'handshake' which seems to be the root of the problem. What lead me to swap cables was that I could watch my computer content (no HDCP required) but nothing on you tube, Netflix, iTunes etc. so everything network and cable connection wise was working. But the HDCP handshake was saying otherwise. So switching cables Provides a 'new' request for permission to view streamed copywrited content...I guess.

So I hope this helps others who are blindsided by this crazy error! Ive seen threads of people buying all new cables and even tv's! However, I may switch everything on tonight and get the error again.

Aug 7, 2012 2:48 AM in response to childofstone

I tried that too--doesn't work. I've tried everything from reinstalling software, new HDMI cords, switching the ends, different ports, different TV, unplugging/replugging (in every imaginable order) all devices, and seriously debated smashing my ATV at one point because I was so frustrated. I've never had an Apple device **** me off so badly. I think its doubly frustrating because it worked SO WELL for SO LONG and now with this garbage update nothing is functioning properly.

Nov 3, 2012 12:48 AM in response to childofstone

I purchased a movie for my kids on iTunes called "The Smurfs" - it is the first time I've purchased a movie on iTunes. It was downloaded to our iPad on holiday. When I tried to play it for my kids on the HD TV with an HDMI output it would not play giving an error message something about HDCP copy protection. When we got back home the same thing happened. As they are little kids we do not allow them to use the iPad so we are not willing to show them the movie on the iPad. This is incredibly frustrating and of course my kids were very disappointed on holiday. I have Googled this problem and see it is another outrageous attempt at Apple trying to sneakily limit and solicit money from consumers in an underhanded way. I went back to iTunes to check and two things became clear:

1. On iTunes, HD download is set as the default in a tiny little button - it does not even look like a button but rather it looks like that is just telling you what the movie format is in. It certainly does not look like the other buttons such as "Details, Ratings and Reviews, Related" which are round and have a little arrow pointing to them - and they are a different colour grey.

2. There is NO mention of this HDCP thing anywhere on the page. There is no warning that this movie can only be played on certain formats or is limited to the device you are downloading it to.

I would like a refund please.

It is the last time I buy anything from the iTunes store! And I am certainly going to blog and Facebook about this. It is outrageous considering how expensive the movie download was - its far cheaper to buy the DVD on the internet! Selfish Apple strikes again...

Nov 3, 2012 2:47 AM in response to be.free

be.free

I fully understand your frustration with this...

be.free wrote:

.....I have Googled this problem and see it is another outrageous attempt at Apple trying to sneakily limit and solicit money from consumers in an underhanded way

however....do not blame Apple for HDCP. HDCP equipped HDMI sockets are required by Blu Ray players, HD satellite/terrestrial set top boxes and computers outputting copyrighted HD material.

It is the movie and TV studios that designed all these protection mechanisms to prevent people copying high quality digital material.

Without supporting HDCP Apple would never be able to market these titles in the first place as the studios would refuse to allow them to sell them.

Frankly all these copy protection mechanisms from macrovision on VHS, encryption of DVDs/Blu Ray, recordings on PVRs only affect the genuine paying customer like you and I and prevent us using media as we'd want to when we've paid for it.

This HDMI/HDCP error could be due to a number of reasons:

1 - the TV is old and does not support HDCP with HDMI (only very early sets with HDMI)

2 - there is a problem with the HDMI cable or socket - try another if you can

3 - there is an AppleTV incompatibility with the TV

4 - AppleTv software bug/glitch

Use this link to let Apple know about the issue:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

To get a refund you would need to contact iTunes store support. Use:

https://expresslane.apple.com

AC

Nov 3, 2012 2:49 AM in response to be.free

be.free

How were you trying to play the item on the TV?

There are many ways to do it:

Airplay from the iPad

iPad to HDMI adapter to TV

Selection of previous purchase in AppleTV Movies menu

Streaming from a computer running iTunes on the LAN using AppleTV Computers icon

An internet connection is often also required when playing back media, occasionally (not always) to authorise the playback via Apple's servers.

AC

Nov 3, 2012 5:25 PM in response to childofstone

Now for my update / situation:

With a Apple 2 and a PANASONIC 2005/6 TH-50PV500A - worked brilliantly till Apple firmware 5.1 upgrade

Have tested now with new HDMI cable - can play all STANDARD DEFINITION items however no HIGH DEFINITION with a HDCP error on screen.

Suspect the new APPLE TV firmware 5.1 now seeks additional HDCP compliant data from cables and TV - so my challenge now is - does the 2005/6 Panasonic TV have a HDCP compliant HDMI input. ANY THOUGHTS ?

Nov 24, 2012 10:29 AM in response to childofstone

I had this problem. I've had the ATV3 since release, worked so well that I bought one for many people, including my tech-challenged mother. Worked perfectly until this morning when it came up with this error.

There was no reason for the cables being loosened, the cables are not fancy high end ones because - they are just cables and connectors. I spent probably about $10 on a cable that is comparable to the one sold by Apple.

I solved the issue by restarting the ATV device that was giving me grief.

--> Settings

--> General

--> Restart

Still annoying though. Hopefully won't happen again for a while.

Message was edited by: mikecj83 for his silly spelling errors

"This content requires HDCP for playback. HDCP isn't supported by your HDMI connection." I am totally frustrated. Done everything up to total restore. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.