Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating Bibliographies HELP FAST

I have read a few posts on this, but must be sure because it's time to put my money where the decision falls. Is BOOKENDS better than ENDNOTES? Please tell me. I'm late on a project, and if I make the wrong choice, I'll lose valuable time and money. I've been evaluating BOOKENDS, but I have nothing to compare the experience to. I find it hard to generate styles for Internet references and am not sure I can learn how to create new formats for the various references I'm using. I don't need to search, but I must be able to generate a bibliography from references I've already found. I don't know where else to turn for advice.
Thank you

iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.4), 30yrs on Windows: New to Apple--Happy, but CLUELESS.

Posted on Mar 5, 2006 4:13 PM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2006 5:24 PM in response to Lizz

Hi, Lizz.

I don't use either product: I do it the old-fashioned way. 😉 However, I may be able to give you some food for thought w.r.t. to your decision.

If you're in a pinch to decide — and such decisions best avoided when pressed for time — you might want to let the user-submitted reviews on VersionTracker for EndNote vs. Bookends help inform your decision.

Those reviews, taken a grain of salt — by which I mean "ignore the rants" and focus on those that provide a measured view — are good at helping sort the wheat from the chaff.

Some additional data that may help:

• Bookends gets higher marks (4.8 out of 5 stars vs. 2.2 out of 5 for EndNote, all time) and costs considerably less ( US$69.99 vs. US$329.95). If I were in your position, Bookends would look attractive.

• Since you've also spent time evaluating Bookends, you'd not have to add the learning curve for EndNote to your existing time constraints. "The Devil you know..." as it were. 😉

• Feedback seems to indicate the Bookends author is responsive to questions, so perhaps they can help you with styles for Internet references.

Note that "better" is a comparison w.r.t. to a given set of requirements. Your requirements may be different from others who regard one better than the other. Hence no one can really "tell you" since only you can state your requirements and evaluate each product against them.

And don't forget: "caveat emptor!"

Hope this helps. Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X

Mar 6, 2006 5:11 AM in response to Lizz

Wow. No "smoke and mirrors" from Dr. Smoke. (smile) I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to provide such solid advice. My husband and I created the bibliography for our last book the "old fashioned way." Well, that chore was assigned to me. NOT! I don't have the words to describe the horror. Finally we hired a service to key in all the references, using Word, so we could edit it. I think it costs about $1000.00 for a zillion references. I know I am going to be K-RAZY at the end of this book so I wanted to find a program that would allow me to enter as I go. I received a coupon to get ENDNOTES for $99, which is the price for BOOKENDS so that threw a curveball. I know in my heart you're right and "emptoring" the "caveat" (my high school Latin teacher just rolled over in her you know what) I plan to proceed with BOOKENDS. You get my vote for all time best answer I have ever received. I'm grateful

iBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.4) 30yrs on Windows: New to Apple--Happy, but CLUELESS.

Mar 6, 2006 5:23 AM in response to Lizz

Hi Lizz

I'm using Bookends which integrates very nicely with my chosen word processor, Mellel. I tried EndNote before I started with Bookends, but whereas Bookends is reasonably complex although you soon get the hang of it and is ultimately relativelt painless, EndNote is a confusing mess that you could spend years trying to get right.

Stick with Bookends, and if you're looking for a good total solution for the future you might want to look here.

Matthew Whiting

Mar 6, 2006 5:32 AM in response to matthew whiting

Matthew:

I appreciate your feedback sincerely. It feels good to know that I'm more than likely making the right decision. I actually looked at Mellel because I didn't want to use any Microsoft products, but I was afraid of trying to learn too much.

I am going with BOOKENDS, but if anyone has any tripwires they want to tell me about, I'm interested.

Thank you.

Creating Bibliographies HELP FAST

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.