Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find a missing photo?

I changed the name of a photo and it vanished from the project. I can still see it under "Photos" but not in the Project that the Metdata tab indicates.

I deleted it and the master, then re-imported the original, but it doesn't help. It is still in Photos, but not in the Project. I tried rebuilding the Preview without success either. :-(

Aperture 3

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 12:01 PM

11 replies

Apr 29, 2012 4:24 AM in response to JohnTheAppleFan

I edited the name in the Metadata tab (like I have for hundreds of other photos).

I even tried changing it back to the original but that didn't help.

I tried stripping off the location data and shortening the caption. Neither helped.

The "blank" project just had the version that had been exported and imported without changes.

I have 26,000 photos and haven't seen this before.

Apr 29, 2012 6:56 AM in response to JohnTheAppleFan

JohnTheAppleFan wrote:

I'm hesitant to rebuild the database since it is so large and the warnings about a backup are pretty scary.

1. You should always have two back-ups of your data files. The importance of having two back-ups cannot be overstated. Before you _use_ Aperture, you should have a system im place that creates two back-ups of your Library.

2. I've never seen "Repair Database" or "Rebuild Database" damage a database. When needed, they are worthy tools that work well.

Apr 29, 2012 7:00 AM in response to JohnTheAppleFan

o.k. that is a solution - you got your image back 🙂. I've just been writing back to you, when I saw your post.

But I am still a little bit worried by what has happened.

One way to have images vanishing is to accidentally type the "9" key. That rejects an image, and it will disappear from albums and projects, if the filters are not set to "show all".

• Another possibility are invisible characters in the filename; if you managed to enter a "newline" or "return" key in the filename. Then Aperture may not be able to find the image. If it has been one of those, the problem is now solved by your reimport.
  • A third problem can be caused by wrongly formatted external disks. If your Aperture library, or the master image files are on a volume, that is not formatted MacOS X extended, then you may encounter problems when retrieving files.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 29, 2012 7:53 AM in response to JohnTheAppleFan

The first item may have been possible, but that wouldn't explain why a different photo appeared when I used "Show in Project". I tried changing the filename before re-importing it, but maybe I missed a character. That may be the most likely cause.

The originals and the Aperture DB are on my internal Mac drive, so that isn't an issue.

I don't know what happened, but starting over with that photo seemed to resolve the issue. Thanks for your thoughts.

How do I find a missing photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.