11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2012 7:53 AM by JohnTheAppleFan
JohnTheAppleFan Level 3 Level 3 (700 points)

I changed the name of a photo and it vanished from the project.  I can still see it under "Photos" but not in the Project that the Metdata tab indicates.

I deleted it and the master, then re-imported the original, but it doesn't help.  It is still in Photos, but not in the Project.   I tried rebuilding the Preview without success either.  :-(

Aperture 3
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (75,780 points)

If you see the image in "Photos" View, then you should be able to locate the correct project by ctrl-clicking (right-clicking) the image in the Browser. Select "Show in Project" from the pop-up menu.

Doesn't that work for you?

Regards

Léonie

mondShowInProj.png

• JohnTheAppleFan Level 3 Level 3 (700 points)

When I do that, a different photo is displayed.  Very strange.

I deleted the offending photo, then imported it to a new project.  The project icon said one photo was in the project, but when I opened it, nothing was displayed.

I should have asked in the first place:

I changed the name of a photo and it vanished from the project. 

How did you change the name of the "photo", and how do the original name and the new name differ?

I edited the name in the Metadata tab (like I have for hundreds of other photos). 

I even tried changing it back to the original but that didn't help.

I tried stripping off the location data and shortening the caption.  Neither helped.

The "blank" project just had the version that had been exported and imported without changes. 

I have 26,000 photos and haven't seen this before.

I also tried repairing permissions and the database without any luck.

I'm hesitant to rebuild the database since it is so large and the warnings about a backup are pretty scary.

I gave up and deleted the photo from Aperture and saved a different JPEG version of the photo and imported that new one to Aperture.  I can see that one.  I have no idea what happened to the earlier version.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)

JohnTheAppleFan wrote:

I'm hesitant to rebuild the database since it is so large and the warnings about a backup are pretty scary.

1.  You should always have two back-ups of your data files.  The importance of having two back-ups cannot be overstated.  Before you _use_ Aperture, you should have a system im place that creates two back-ups of your Library.

2.  I've never seen "Repair Database" or "Rebuild Database" damage a database.  When needed, they are worthy tools that work well.

o.k. that is a solution - you got your image back . I've just been writing back to you, when I saw your post.

But I am still a little bit worried by what has happened.

• One way to have images vanishing is to accidentally type the "9" key. That rejects an image, and it will disappear from albums and projects, if the filters are not set to "show all".

• Another possibility are invisible characters in the filename; if you managed to enter a "newline" or "return" key in the filename. Then Aperture may not be able to find the image. If it has been one of those, the problem is now solved by your reimport.
    • A third problem can be caused by wrongly formatted external disks. If your Aperture library, or the master image files are on a volume, that is not formatted MacOS X extended, then you may encounter problems when retrieving files.

Regards

Léonie

I have the Time Machine backup(s) on a separate disk and I have a copy of the Aperture DB on a separate disk which I keep off-site in case there's a problem in my office (such as last summer's earthquake).

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)

Excellent.  In which case you need not be shy of using "Rebuild Database".  It does take a while, but even on huge databases (1/2 TB; 500,000 Images) this has always finished overnight.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- minor but significant rewording.

The first item may have been possible, but that wouldn't explain why a different photo appeared when I used "Show in Project".  I tried changing the filename before re-importing it, but maybe I missed a character.  That may be the most likely cause.

The originals and the Aperture DB are on my internal Mac drive, so that isn't an issue.

I don't know what happened, but starting over with that photo seemed to resolve the issue.  Thanks for your thoughts.