Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems Installing Windows XP as Partitioned OS

Hi,

I've been attempting to install Windows XP on my MacBook Pro (Mac OS X 10.6.8) using BootCamp, but I've been running into the same problem over and over again.

Here's what I did:

I downloaded the Windows support files onto a DVD

I partitioned my hard drive, creating a 50 GB partition for Windows

I insterted the Windows XP SP2 disc, then began installation using BootCamp

The files appeared to download correctly, then I selected the BootCamp partition and chose the NTFS format

After some more files were downloaded or copied, etc, a message appeared saying that Windows setup would continue after the computer restarted

Here's the problem:

The computer restarted, but instead of the setup continuing, it asked if I would like to boot from a CD

If I confirmed, the computer would start the installation process all over again

If I did not confirm, it said "Disc Failed" or something like that, and said "Press Any Key to Restart."

I've tried booting in Mac OS X again, deleting the Windows partition, and starting over with different options like:

FAT format instead of NTFS

Larger/smaller partition sizes

Nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how I can get Windows XP to install properly? I also ran a software update, so I know that's not the problem. Please help.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 4:01 PM

You should read and follow the Snow Leopard Boot Camp Installation Guide. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

For starters, you don't download the support software/drivers. They are on your OSx installation disk.

You also do not provide any information about your computer, especially the year. The newer computers do not support XP. There are no XP drivers for the newer computer hardware.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2012 4:01 PM in response to Darkjester7

You should read and follow the Snow Leopard Boot Camp Installation Guide. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

For starters, you don't download the support software/drivers. They are on your OSx installation disk.

You also do not provide any information about your computer, especially the year. The newer computers do not support XP. There are no XP drivers for the newer computer hardware.

Problems Installing Windows XP as Partitioned OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.