Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

entering a file path into Finder or elsewhere?

can anyone help me if there are one or more ways to find a path like this in finder or other software? i have recently realized that i don't know how to take a file path such as this and then get my mac to show me where this is without "manually" finding it myself. also, i would love any other info on this type of topic or closely related topics if there are any that a new user should be aware of...

/Users/mini_me/Library/Application Support/Postbox/Profiles/jaw8jgkk.default/Mail/Local Folders

TIA

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 6:57 PM

You can type Command + Shift + g while in any Finder window or select "Go to Folder…" from the "Go" menu & type in or paste in a filepath. Press the "Go" button & you are there.

6 replies

Apr 29, 2012 5:57 PM in response to hotwheels22

That particular keyboard shortcut is coded into the Finder, which is an application even though we don't usually think of it that way. In other apps, it might do something else, or nothing at all. For instance, in Safari, "⇧⌘G" is the shortcut for finding the previous instance in a search (it's on the "Find" menu item of the "Edit" menu).

You are right about the Keyboard Shortcuts section of the Keyboard system preference. Note that you can also create shortcuts as well as change ones that appear there, & they can be either "global," applying to all apps or specific to a selected app. However, the shortcuts you create will not override ones coded into an app.

If you click the purple question mark icon in the preference, the help topic that appears will give you a little more info about this.

Apr 29, 2012 3:10 PM in response to hotwheels22

CMD+Shift+g means to hold down the command & shift keys & then tap the "g" key. This shortcut is built into the Finder; you don't need to add it.

You can see this indicated in Finder's "Go" menu: next to "Go to Folder…" you will see "⇧⌘G" to help you remember this keyboard shortcut.

The hollow up arrow is the system wide menu symbol for the shift key. You will also sometimes see the ⌥ symbol (for the option key) & the ^ symbol (for the control key) in menus. They are all modifiers keys that you hold down while typing other keys to modify their behavior.

Apr 29, 2012 3:17 PM in response to R C-R

thank you very much.

i am new to the OS and trying to get caught up on a couple of things.

so this is a "hard-coded keyboard shortcut" that is basically embedded into the OS and I cannot change it and the ones that I can change are located in the Preferences Keyboard Command section is that right?

i mean, the ones I can change i can see in the Preferences and the ones that I cannot change and they are listed here is that correct?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

entering a file path into Finder or elsewhere?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.