Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start an iPhoto Book with the Pictures in a certain manual order

I have 200 pictures in a specific order but can not get the Book to load the pictures in that order so I can more easily create the book.

How can I do this?

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 11:38 PM

11 replies

Apr 30, 2012 3:25 PM in response to LarryHN

I tried that but iPhoto keeps putting the pictures in date order and I want to place them in sections like Early family, School, Vacations, etc. I have all my photos organized by date so I don't want to change them like Old Toad suggested (Good Suggestion otherwise). I tired to change the Sort order under View when I am in the book part to Manual but that did not change iPhoto from putting the new pictures I would drag into the book from arranging them again into date.

Can I import this file I call (Ken & Helen) with 211 pictuers in my manual order into Aperture and does aperture allow you to keep the photos in the Manual order as I create the book?

Nov 13, 2012 8:48 PM in response to drjackboss No.1

Apple was amazingly helpful as I did a book getting quite dizzy by the end trying to find where each photo was. To get the photos into a new book project in order:

• Make certain nothing is selected when clicking on the "Create" icon. (or file>new book)
  • Once you've created an Empty book, go to the Album with your photos, click on the "Add To" icon in the lower right corner, and add the photos to your Empty book.
  • Select the book and then click on the "Photos" icon in the lower right corner.

Voila! New book, with photos in the correct order - same as your album. Hurrah!

Nov 29, 2012 7:06 AM in response to drjackboss No.1

Man this is unbelievably frustrating and it does not work as you describe it. I have a n Album and have manually sorted my photos to how I wish them to appear in the book. I followed the instructions above. Created an empty book add 10 more pages. Went to the album and added the photos ot the book and used autoflow. The pics came through in "random" (I assume there is some logic) order. I then removed placed pics and the 10 pages I had spent time designing, disappeared. Does anyone know of a better book production system as this is driving me crazy.

Nov 29, 2012 8:50 AM in response to GaryDavies

From your description you left out the most important step: use the Photos ➙ Batch Change ➙ Date menu option and add one mintue between photos.

Without that step you won't be able to get them into the book in the order you'd like.

Note: if you're worried about messing up the photos' dates in the library for general use try creating a separate library just for your book. You can move the album of photos into the new library by using iPhoto Library Manager. This will allow you archive the library for ordering additional copies or editing without having to worry about the book being compromised in your main library. This tutorial describes it in more detail: iP08 - Archiving an iPhoto Book for Editing and/or Ordering at a Later Date

Nov 29, 2012 10:59 AM in response to GaryDavies

Give this a try: launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import enought photos to give you the number of pages you need, create a book from them and check to see if the same problem persists. If it does'nt then your current library is the culprit.

If that 's the case make a temporary, backup copy of the library if you don't already have one (Control-click on the library and select Duplicate from the contextual menu) and try the following (the screenshots below are for iPhoto 9.4.2):

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

2 - Since only one option can be run at a time start with #1 followed by #3 and #4 as needed.

Start an iPhoto Book with the Pictures in a certain manual order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.