Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1080p 50Hz & 60Hz lagging problem...

Dear all,

I have some issues with my AppleTV (last one : with 1080p support).

If I set resolution as "auto", AppleTV selects 1080p 60Hz. With that resolution, ITunes rental movies look fine. But lots of other videos (mainly : AirPlay movies) are "lagging".

If I set 1080p 50Hz, AirPlay movies are great ... But I got images lag with iTunes movies : just as if 1 frame is missing every 2 or 3 seconds.

So far, I need to switch from 1080p 50Hz to 60Hz depending on what I will use as source ...

How can I solve this : does this come from AppleTV ? Or from my TV (Samsung UE46D7000) ?

Thanks

Yoann

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 5:34 AM

it's a mixture of both devices really. Not all TV's handle this as well as others, we have 7 Apple TV's in our house (3 Apple Tv 1s, 3 Apple TV 2s and 1 Apple TV 3), 6 of our TVs are fine, one has the same issue as yours, we've swapped devices around to eliminate the Apple TV as the cause.

Content recorded at 24 and 30 fps is best viewed at 60 Hz, content at 25 fps is best viewed at 50 Hz. Unfortunately if your TV doesn't handle the situation well, short of replacing the TV, you are left with changing the output settings whenever you watch different content.

Fortunately after a while you get used to which content will be at which frame rate (ie iTunes movies are invariably 24 fps).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2012 5:34 AM in response to Yoyor94

it's a mixture of both devices really. Not all TV's handle this as well as others, we have 7 Apple TV's in our house (3 Apple Tv 1s, 3 Apple TV 2s and 1 Apple TV 3), 6 of our TVs are fine, one has the same issue as yours, we've swapped devices around to eliminate the Apple TV as the cause.

Content recorded at 24 and 30 fps is best viewed at 60 Hz, content at 25 fps is best viewed at 50 Hz. Unfortunately if your TV doesn't handle the situation well, short of replacing the TV, you are left with changing the output settings whenever you watch different content.

Fortunately after a while you get used to which content will be at which frame rate (ie iTunes movies are invariably 24 fps).

May 1, 2012 2:54 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for the help.

I did focus on the TV settings and find a compromise :

- I set every source to 1080p 60Hz

- I've set the TV "motion plus" to "clear" setting : I initially disabled this setting (do not like the Effect it can create). But looks like the "clear" setting help a lot with 25fps source (no more lag ... Or only on specific scenes) and does not create the "strange effect" with other sources.

I think I will be happy with this setting ... Let's see after a while.

Thanks again.

Yo

1080p 50Hz & 60Hz lagging problem...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.