Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

panther upgrade

I have an iMac w/PPC chipset running Panther OS. Some newer programs I want to use won't work with Panther. Would upgrading to a later OS work, or is it the chipset that is the limiting factor? If upgrading would help, could I load Leopard without going to the in-between system Tiger?

thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 5:29 AM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2012 7:23 AM in response to tbirdgreg

Patty is right in asking for more details because of significant model differences in the PPC iMac families, and we can't guess which you have

• The G3 iMacs 15-inch CRT display) with 400mHz processors and faster can run up to Mac OS 10.4.11 Tiger.
  • The G4 iMacs ("desk lamp") with 1gHz or faster processors can run 10.5.8 Leopard
  • All G5 iMacs can run up to OS 10.5.8.

Doing "About this Mac" from your Apple menu and posting what the resulting window says for processor type is a good start. Also post what the same window says about how much memory (RAM) is installed. G3 and G4 Macs, if not previously upgraded, tend to be a little short of the RAM needed to run OS 10.4 or 10.5.

panther upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.