Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to bring brightness control slider back in display Preferences if its missing?

Hi,

I am using MacBook Pro(Mid 2010) 15". I have Mac OS X Lion(10.7.3). Before a week i was able to control brightness of my LCD display (i.e., 15" screen, not any other external Monitor) through Brightness keys from Keyboard, but it stopped working before 5-6 days. Then i tried to restart my laptop many times, nut it didn't helped. After a while i search through many discussion and forums over internet for finding my solution but it didn't help. Then i read somewhere that use slider control in display preferences. So, i went to display preferences, then i saw that there is no slider control in display preferences. Now i don't know what to do. So plz guys help me if you know any solution to this problem.

I have attached the image of my Display Preferences for getting you an idea what i am saying. And i Think if the slider comes back then keyboard keys will also get working automatically.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 9:21 AM

One harmless thing to try is to reset the NVRAM:

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

charlie

7 replies

Apr 30, 2012 11:30 PM in response to sunny_1991

Hey sunny_1991.

The exact same thing has happened to me.

I am running a 27" Thunderbolt display off of a Mid-2011 MacBook Air.

Suddenly, last week, my brightness control keys on my external keyboard stopped affecting the brightness of the Thunderbolt display. The brightness keys on the MacBook Air, though, still affect the brightness of the laptop's screen.

I went into the Displays preference pane, and sure enough, the brightness slider has disappeared.

Have you been able to resolve this? (zapping PRAM, etc doesn't work.)

I'm wondering if this is a glitch that came with 10.7.3...

Anyone have any ideas? I have no way, now, to control the brightness of my Thunderbolt display. It is EXTREMELY frustrating.

rudy

How to bring brightness control slider back in display Preferences if its missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.