Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes freezes when syncing ipod classic 160GB

I just downloaded the new itunes 1.6.1 and everytime i try to sync my ipod classic it gets about a tenth of the way through syncing the songs then completely freezes, i have to exit using task manager and it leaves me with no songs on my ipod. I've tried resetting my ipod and such but none of it has worked, i've spent the last 3 hours looking for a solution but there is nothing out there, please help!!!

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 10:19 AM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2012 1:49 PM in response to tomc529

Try connecting the iPod Classic to a different USB port set (like the ones on the back of your PC), and make sure you're connecting it directly to the PC, not through a USB hub (like the ones built into keyboards or monitors). If iTunes still freezes, run Windows Update and make sure you update all of the hardware drivers for your PC, especially ones marked "Chipset" or "USB Controller". Frequently, when iTunes freezes mid-sync with a USB device, it's because of an error with your USB controller or that set of ports. The steps above should get you syncing properly again.

If that doesn't work, try connecting your iPod Classic to another PC and sync some songs to it. If iTunes freezes there as well, it may be a problem with your iPod Classic (unlikely, but possible), and would warrant a Genius Bar appointment.

Hope this helps.

Apr 29, 2012 3:52 PM in response to JustinGN

Tried another USB port, no luck. No updates are available either, I think/hope the problem may be to do with the new 1.6 update, i read about a lot of other people experiencing this with different ipods, but it was solved with the 1.6.1 update. This new update didn't work for me and i'm now a bit lost, not sure if apple are aware of it and are working on a fix for it, Thanks for the help anyway

May 1, 2012 6:23 AM in response to tomc529

The report tell us that, the iPod hardisk need replacement, as seen in the Pending Sector number, for some reason, it is unable to finish its task of writing data to the disk.

I think your iPod is still under warranty, unless it has been replaced before, as the PowerON hours is only 10.

What's missing are the Temperature numbers, could be high temperature in a glove compartment, while operating the iPod, (plug in to the Car stereo- just my thoughts), that's causing the iPod Hardisk to crash.

Bring in your iPod to Apple Store, the Genius may get you a replacement, if it is under warranty.

Itunes freezes when syncing ipod classic 160GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.