Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded Adobe Flash Player - Should it show up on Disk Utility pane?

Have just downloaded Adobe Flash and went to do permissions where I found the file "install_flash_player_osx..." and also the icon with "Flash Player" directly underneath.

These are listed under the list of drives to select on left side of pane.

Is this normal?

Do I need to do permissions? On HD?

thanks!

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 1:06 PM

16 replies

Apr 29, 2012 1:44 PM in response to V.A.P.

It is normal that you see on the left side pane of a Finder window, "Flash Player" when "install_flash_player_osx.dmg", the file you downloaded, is opened.

If you didn't double click "install_flash_player_osx.dmg", that means you have checked

Safari -> Preferences -> General -> Open safe files after downloading

It is more secure to disable Open safe files after downloading

If you also see install_flash_player_osx.dmg on the left side pane you probably put it there, but it is just a link to the original file that is almost certainly into Download folder

Apr 29, 2012 2:52 PM in response to V.A.P.

When you download something for the Mac, it is almost always on a disk image. A disk image acts just like a hard disk, once it is mounted. So, yes, it should be in disk utility because it is a "disk."

If that disk image is still mounted, you can't drag it out of disk utility.

Here is the flash player installer "disk" mounted in disk utility and the mounted disk image in a Finder window, shown in the background.

User uploaded file

Here is Disk Utility after I ejected the mounted disk image:

User uploaded file

Notice that the image isn't mounted because the disk volume is not shown below the disk image. Once it is unmounted, you can drag the install image out of disk utility and it will go "Poof!"

Downloaded Adobe Flash Player - Should it show up on Disk Utility pane?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.