Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Time Machine to access an old deleted profile?

For a couple of years I was backing up my old MacBook using Time Machine to a 1T Time Capsule. I had two profiles on my Mac, but eventually I deleted one of the profiles. I always thought I could use Time Machine to go back into the Time Capsule and retrieve files from that deleted profile from a date before it was deleted, but it seems it will only access my main profile. Any ideas?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 1:16 PM

2 replies

Apr 29, 2012 1:37 PM in response to TomHarris1964

To restore files belonging to another user, you have to restore the nearest enclosing folder that Time Machine will let you access. For example, if the files are in the user's Documents folder, you would most likely have to restore the whole Documents folder to someplace such as your Desktop. You can do that from the action menu (gear icon) in the toolbar of the snapshot window. You'll be prompted for an administrator password. After restoring, you'll probably have to change the owner of the restored files to yourself.

Can I use Time Machine to access an old deleted profile?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.