Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tiger 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5.8 - what to expect?

Finally upgrading my PPC G5 running Tiger 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5.8. (I know, I'm so behind, I know)

Dual Core 2 GHz with 5 GB Ram,

I'm already familiar with the basics of upgrading.

What I'm asking is, WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES, both in features and in performance (considering the type of Mac and amount of Ram I have) that I should expect?

Thanks....

G5 Dual Core 2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 5 GB Ram

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 6:56 PM

Hi again,

Expect it to run slower, use more RAM, use more free space on the HDD, use multiple CPUs a bit better, more Gray everywhere, every setting will be a few more steps many 10.4 APPs will be broken.

Features?

Classic OS9 Aps are no longer available, but Time Mahine is, I'd say 200+ of the supposed 300+ Improvements/enhancements in 10.5 are steps backwards

If you don't have a top of the line Video card, expect even more slowness.

I've recently gone back to 10.4.11 on my G5 Quad/10 GB of RAM, & a rough guess is it runs twice as fast as 10.5.8 on most things.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2012 6:56 PM in response to mynameismyname

Hi again,

Expect it to run slower, use more RAM, use more free space on the HDD, use multiple CPUs a bit better, more Gray everywhere, every setting will be a few more steps many 10.4 APPs will be broken.

Features?

Classic OS9 Aps are no longer available, but Time Mahine is, I'd say 200+ of the supposed 300+ Improvements/enhancements in 10.5 are steps backwards

If you don't have a top of the line Video card, expect even more slowness.

I've recently gone back to 10.4.11 on my G5 Quad/10 GB of RAM, & a rough guess is it runs twice as fast as 10.5.8 on most things.

Apr 29, 2012 7:09 PM in response to BDAqua

Hmmm.....

As to Video Card, here are the specs of mine:

NVIDIA GeForce 6600:

Chipset Model: GeForce 6600

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

Slot: SLOT-1

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0141

Revision ID: 0x00a4

ROM Revision: 2149

Displays:

PlanarPX2611W:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display:

May 10, 2012 7:20 PM in response to BDAqua

Things went quite better than I was afraid of.....

At the end of the day I'M HAPPY.... My Mac works very much the same speed as before, but I did lots of preventive maintenance before upgrading to Leopard, like running DiscWarrior, Disc Utility and even defragmanting my HD (which took almost 6 HOURS, it was quite fragmanted), all to bring my HD to optimum performance, before upgrading it to Leopard, as an alternative to formating it altogether....

Some of the new features in Leopard I really appreciate..... All in all, I did the right thing.

SPECIAL THANKS TO BDAQUA WHO WAS EXTREMLY HELPFUL THRUOUT THE PROCESS!!!.....

As to getting the upgrade disc, best to check eBay, but get the "generic" DVD only, the one with the large X pasted all over it, not any disc that's specific to a certain model.

May 10, 2012 10:49 PM in response to mitchem8

Leopard requirements/10.5.x...

* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

minimum system requirements

* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)

* DVD drive for installation

* 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

Trouble is Apple no longer sells it, check eBay & such for the Retail version, not the Gray Discs...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mac+os+x+leopard+retail+10.5

Tiger 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5.8 - what to expect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.