Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update to Windows 7 SP1 in Bootcamp? I have an Service Pack-less install DVD...

Hi,

I recently did some spring cleaning in my MacBook Pro and I will be installing Windows 7 in the next few days via Bootcamp. I was wondering how will I install Windows 7 Service Pack 1. You see, I purchased a copy of Windows 7 back in Fall 2010 and at that time SP1 was not released yet so this means that my install disc does not have SP1 on it. I am hesitant in updating Windows 7 to SP1 because I have read multiple threads where users are reporting installation problems from stuck installations to audio issues.

Currently, this is my plan on how I will proceed to install Windows 7:

1. Install Windows 7 via DVD Disc.
  2. Install Bootcamp Drivers.
  3. Install Bootcamp 3.2 Update.
  4. Install Bootcamp 3.3 Update.
  5. Install Windows 7 SP1 via standalone installer.
  6. Install latest NVIDIA Drivers.

Will this methodology work? Are there any considerations that I should have in mind when upgrading to Windows 7 SP1?

My version of Windows 7 is Home Premium 64-bit Edition. See system specs in this post's footer...

MacBook Pro i5 2.53 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 4GB of Ram

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 9:30 PM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2012 8:22 PM in response to mikey110

Actually you should have a better time installing Windows 7 without SP1 as it seems the W7 installer DVD with SP1 added a wrinkle or two to the install for some computers. Most of the issues you mention are with the W7 with SP1 already added DVD.

Windows will show you the SP1 update when you update everything via their Windows Softtware Updater so you don't have to manually find and install SP1.

The same with the Apple Boot Camp drivers, you shouldn't have to install the updates manually, just let the Apple Software Updater in Windows update everything automatically and you should be good to go.

I installed W7 last year (non sp1) and then updated to SP1 later when it became available via the Windows Software Updater and I haven't had any problems at all. Actually I did it to two of my computers.

Just make sure you make a large enough partition to have room to grow so you don't have to do this all over again later.🙂

How to update to Windows 7 SP1 in Bootcamp? I have an Service Pack-less install DVD...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.