Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I open pdf documents after using Adobe Reader security?

I have been able to open pdfs perfectly well up until I changed the security settings on Adobe Reader. As I read somewhere that Apples have an inbuilt pdf reader I trashed everything Adobe, but still can't open pdfs. Tried using Preview to no avail.

Is there some other way of opening pdfs without reinstalling Adobe?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 1:04 AM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2012 5:11 PM in response to Casuarina

What happens when I try to open a pdf when using Safari is that the document shows a black screen and won't open.

I can open pdf docs. from the desktop with Preview, but I don't want to have to drag each document to the desktop to read it. Before making the changes to Adobe Reader and Java, I was able to read pdfs while still on the website.

I have deleted Adobe and as much of Java as I can, due to warnings about new trojans affecting Macs.

Apr 30, 2012 6:02 PM in response to Casuarina

You didn't think of mentioning that in your first post? So it's not Adobe Reader or Preview you are having problems with. It's pdf's in your browser!

For Safari, you need to remove the adobe pdf plugins which Adobe apparently screwed up. You need to remove:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

I think you can "get away with" removing just the second one. But both for sure should allow you to open pdf's in a browser (all browsers).

Why can't I open pdf documents after using Adobe Reader security?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.