Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is MacBook Air 13 better or MacBook Pro 13 better? (2011 models)

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 3:36 AM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2012 4:00 AM in response to ben1004

That is kind of an open question mate. I mean, the first problem is: better for what exactly? Not too sure about the 2011 models, but you can check the specs online.

But in general, Air models have a bit less processing power, NO CD/DVD reader/burner and a very light weight. On the other hand, the perceived speed of an Air model can be faster than a Pro model if the first hav a SSD drive and the second does not.

I have a MacBook Aluminum 13" (Late 2008). I have recently upgraded it with an SSD drive and 8GB Ram (this RAM size is not officialy supported by Apple for this model). I have to say that it was well worth the investment. Things are quite fast and responsive and it does not even look like my Mac has 3 years of use. SSD drives make indeed a huge difference. RAM memory also play a huge role and I think the Air models are more limited on this aspect as well. But I guess most users would do fine with 4GB of RAM (I would not recommend less than that for anyone).

On the last difference, the CD/DVD drive (Superdrive), I confess that I almost never use mine, not to mention that you can always buy a USB device as an option, so it is not something very important. On the other hand, I have been thinking about modding my MacBook with a huge HDD by replacing the superdrive with it (again, not official stuff, but well tested). There is a special tray with the superdrive size you can use to put a HDD on MacBooks. Since I "only" have 240GB on my SSD and an internal HDD is much faster than an USB option, I may end up doing that.

Well... I went a bit overboard here,

But that is my 2cts on the matter...

Cheers!

May 1, 2012 5:35 AM in response to ben1004

Apart from Klaus1's comment, you can also search the forums. There have been many posts here regarding this same question. The problem is that when people start posting the same question over and over again, people get tired of posting the same answers, so you'll tend to get fewer responses.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.