Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening ports

I need to open a port but dont' know how to go about it as the firewall is off but the port still comes back as closed.

i need to open the UDP 69 (tftp) port to use in connection with the awesome Deploy Studio.

Using the following terminal command sudo nmap -sU -p69 -v x.x.x.x to check the tftp port is open i go the following responce:

Starting Nmap 5.51 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-04-30 12:02 BST

Initiating Ping Scan at 12:02

Scanning 172.x.x.x [4 ports]

Completed Ping Scan at 12:02, 0.01s elapsed (1 total hosts)

Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 12:02

Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 12:02, 0.00s elapsed

Initiating UDP Scan at 12:02

Scanning deploystudio.mydomain.com (172.x.x.x) [1 port]

Completed UDP Scan at 12:02, 0.01s elapsed (1 total ports)

Nmap scan report for deploystudio.mydomain.com (172.x.x.x)

Host is up (0.00024s latency).

PORT STATE SERVICE

69/udp closed tftp

Read data files from: /usr/local/share/nmap

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.24 seconds

Raw packets sent: 5 (180B) | Rcvd: 2 (84B)

i'm guessing it will be a terminal jobby but my skills are lacking

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 4:39 AM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2012 6:28 AM in response to Imagine Admin

Hi!

The firewall in Snow Leopard is application-specific. So, if you enable a single application, it will be allowed to open any ports it needs. Did you try System Preferences > Security > Firewall > Advanced... and adding DeployStudio in the list of applications to allow incoming/outgoing connections?

Are you using any router/switch with built-in firewall or port-blocking that might need to be adjusted?

Haven't used DeployStudio, looks good though. Great idea for larger corporations/schools etc...

All the best

-oz

Apr 30, 2012 7:40 AM in response to Imagine Admin

Hi Oz thanks for the suggestion, the second i turned on the OSX firewall i was presented with the allow Deploy Studio incomming connections which i allowed but still no dice hmm.

noondaywitch - the desktop and server are on the same internal network and doesn't go out onto the internet to reach it plus the firwall is set to allow all LAN to LAN transmisisons on all posrts but thanks for the suggestion 😀

Opening ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.