3 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 11:11 AM by CTS
CTS Level 2 Level 2 (200 points)

I have a circa-2007 iMac and am trying to remove the cover that conceals the RAM. I can turn the screw but it's not coming out. Any thoughts on how I can get it out? (This is part of a larger operation to replace a hard drive, but absurdly I'm stymied at this supposedly-easy task.)

iMac Alum 20", Core 2 Duo, 2GHz, 3 GB / Macbook (2010), Mac OS X (10.6)
  • RRFS Level 5 Level 5 (4,470 points)

It sounds like the screw may have stripped the last thread and it is not allowing it to grab the groove to thread out. If you can get any outward direction pressure on the screw it might go ahead and grab if you turn while applying pressure. It's small so it can be difficult but a tiny blade under the head of the screw could do it. I'm not sure you can apply pressure with the cover itself as it fits quit snuggly. Good luck, be patient it may take several tries.

• mcsound Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

The screws are captive screws and will stay with the cover.  Once the screws are loosened try gently prying the cover off.

• CTS Level 2 Level 2 (200 points)

Thanks — that was it.

Unfortunately, once I got inside I decided the hard-drive replacement was too daunting, but at least the RAM screw didn't stop me!