Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import stills from GoPro time-lapse sequence as video?

I have a time-lapse sequence on my desktop (1000 stills in numbered sequence). But when I imported it into Final Cut, it made each still 10 seconds long.

How do get it to import the stills as single frames?

EP

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7), want them to import as single frame

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 8:08 AM

22 replies

Apr 30, 2012 10:45 AM in response to evanpetty

You can use QT 7, as Tom said. But not everyone has QT 7 Pro (it used to cost $30...).

Using only FCP X, you could create a compound clip in your event, drag all your stills in there, select all, ctrl-D and enter the duration (in this case, just 1 and "enter"). Now you have your time-lapse clip in your event browser to use wherever you please.

Apr 30, 2012 2:40 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I still can't get it to work. I imported all of the jpegs into an event, and it made them all 10 seconds long again. So now I've got a huge amount of material in this event, but I don't know how to keep it to just a single still frame from each jpeg.

If I select them all and hit ctrl-D I just get a mistake blurp, and nothing happens. I don't understand how I'm supposed to get them onto the timeline as 1-frame durations. ??

I figured this wouldn't be that hard to do. Maybe I should use another program to create the image sequence if FCP X doesn't do it?

EP

May 1, 2012 8:17 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Guys. I appreciate your help in figuring this out. I'm relatively new to FCP, and I can't find any mention of creating an image sequence from stills in the user manual.

So I've tried to do what you suggested, and still haven't gotten it to work.

I created an empty Compound clip in the Event.

I tried to drag and drop the files into that clip, but that doesn't work.

I tried to use Import to get the stills into the Compound Clip, and that resulted in 10 seconds of video for each still image. That ties up my computer for a long time, and is not what I want to do.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to get the stills into FCP, as stills.

The instructions you gave me said to "select the stills" then to make a new Compound Clip, but the stills are in a separate file on my desktop, and not in FCP, so I can't do both. If I select the stills, then FCP isn't operating because I've clicked on another file on the desktop.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

EP

Jan 26, 2013 3:24 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Follow-up note 01.26.2013: Tom's method of using Quicktime 7 is really a time saver, and more, assists a lot in organizing clips in the FCP X Event. My short project today involved 30 video clips, 4 audio clips, and three time-lapse sequences using stills from a GoPro cam. Lots and lots (several hundred) of stills. Placing all of those stills in the Event Library is really visually distracting. Instead, using the QT7 method, I have three time-lapse clips which I can re-time easily, if needed, in FCP X. Thanks again, Tom.

import stills from GoPro time-lapse sequence as video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.