Previous 1 2 3 Next 112 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2016 6:34 PM by jimoase
Peepersabq Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, I've been having a few issues with the trackpad, mostly with clicks lately. Today the cursor went rogue and started opening all sorts of programs and files, moving to different screens and opening things there, generally going crazy and not responding when I tried to use it. I rebooted several times before it decided to stop on its own -- I'm not sure the reboot had anything to do with it. I took a video of it with my ipod, but it's too big to upload here. Any suggestions before I open cocktail and and run repairs? Thanks for any help you can offer.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • 8373seth Level 1 (0 points)

Me, too, My cursor has been going crazy. I've had to shut down many times.  I am Lion 10.7.3.  Do you think it's a bug or virus?

• Deheart Level 1 (0 points)

This moring it was working fine then around 10 am I pull it out of my bag at school and almost cant use it at all due to the trackpad going rogue and not working properly. I was lucky I had my bluetooth mouse with me.

• Squeegy200 Level 1 (5 points)

My Macbook Pro started to experience the very same erratic behaviour. At first I noticed that it would happen if the MBP was on a flat tabletop surface. If I placed the MBP on my lap, the magic pad seemed to operate properly. It was very consistent. Since this is a capacitative surface, I tried an experiment. I placed the MBP on a tabletop surface where it's exhibited the malfunction. Then I used my other hand on the flat surface areas near the magic pad while using my right hand to manipulate the cursor. It appears that touching the casing with my other hand seemed to calm down the erratic behaviour. When I used only one hand, the erratic behaviour returned.

I'd searched several forums to no avail. No one seemed to have a solution or an explanation so I just lived with it.

However, by coincidence, I was experiencing what I believed was an unrelated issue. One of my USB ports was no longer responding to devices plugged into that port. While searching for a solution for the USB port, I stumbled across a post where the user suggested resetting the SMC. I'd never heard of that before this post. In his post, he mentioned that erratic Magic Pad behaviour could also be caused by the SMC.

He instructed to

1. Attach the MagSafe power cord

2. Power off the MacBook Pro

3. Press the L-Shift/Control/Option and Power button at the same time and hold.

4. Release them all at the same time

5. Then power on the MacBook Pro

Not only did my USB regain functionality, but it appears to have resolved my erratic Magic Pad behaviour. It now operates as it had done when new.

For reference, I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" with the Intel I3 processor and Lion.

I hope that helps somebody else as it did for me.

• Peepersabq Level 1 (0 points)

Crikey, I hope not. I haven't had any problems for a while.

• Peepersabq Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks, Squeegy200. I hadn't heard of the SMC reset either, but will definitely remember it the next time this happens, buddha forbid. We have an old macbook that this might work on too. I appreciate you sharing your experience in detail. Funny, I thought my other hand touching the casing was causing the problem!

• dhollon Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks -  Squeegy200!

It solved my issue.

• SurreySteve Level 1 (0 points)

Apple support got me to carry out the SMC reset + a PRAM reset when a couple of weeks back when I first reported an issue with an eratttic trackpad on my MBP 17 2.3 (i7 I think) - This did not solve it but I have just noticed (one of) the cause(s) of my problem - when I plug in a network cable the trackpad stops working properly!
    Anyone got any thoughts on that?

• mollbee Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you , Squeegy200. Your advice solved my wigged-out trackpad problem on my 15-inch Macbook Pro. Even my bluetooth mouse was wiggy. This probem began within a week of installing Lion 10.7.4. I've had this laptop for two years and never had any troubles prior to this. I don't know what the SMC is. When you have a moment could you tell me what that is? Many thanks!!

• mollbee Level 1 (0 points)

I spoke too soon. Resetting the SMC only solved the problem for a short time, or maybe intermittently. I tried it again and it's still periodically wigging out. Sigh...

• frank996 Level 1 (0 points)

I was having the exact same problem my mouse went out of control all of a sudden it ws getting annoying. I tried the SMC and PRAM reset none of it worked. Until i came across something and it worked! Just simply apply pressure across the whole surface of the trackpad. It worked for me pheww!

• BC_mac_girl Level 1 (0 points)

I just have to say, I just started having issues with the trackpad on my MBP and had was given no help from tech support.  I would do the 2 finger swipe up to see all of a site and nothing would happen.   My MBP would open links on its own and I was so frustrated.... I saw a post about someone applying pressure to the pad, so I did and nothin happend    I was mad and gently smacked my track pad several times, and low and behold, it started working again!!!  I have no idea how long it will work for, but some things do need a spanking to behave.  Maybe this will help someone, maybe not, but it worked for me.    good luck y'all!!

• mstyles@me.com Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same problem.  Resetting the SMC fixes it only for a short time (hours).  I'd replace the trackpad myself but I'm not sure that will solve it...it was actually replaced by Apple twice while it was under warranty (for breaking and then the repaired part slipped loose in the case. 

• SPSlove Level 1 (0 points)

I was having the same issues. Couldn't control track pad. It was all over the place and clicking on its own. I pressed down on it hard somewhat evenly and it fixed the issue.

• Ann G Level 2 (300 points)

Same problem here. I think this is more a software glitch then anything else.

Quite annoying in fact, as you can never tell what it will do - randomly and out of the blue.

I pressed down on the trackpad evenly with both hands (three fingers) for about 20secs. So far so good (maybe this creates some kind of reset-who knows). Time will tell.

Thanks

Previous 1 2 3 Next