Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending a VMWare Fusion 4 disk under Lion (10.7.3)

I use Fusion 4 on my Mac and now need to extend a disk from 200GB to 300GB; VMWare tells me there's not enough space on disk, although it has ~400GB of unused space. Since defragging is not a Mac thing, is there anything else I need/can do to convince Fusion to extend my drive?

I know this is a Mac forum but since it's on a Mac *and* VMWare's forum didn't give my anything in almost 2 days...

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 10:38 AM

7 replies

Apr 30, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Fernando N.

Defragging will bring nothing.

You want to extend a "disk" to 300GB? Is that for one VM or more? Do you have a freely expanding VM "disk" or did you limit the 'disk"?

Do you understand that the VM is just one big "file", thus if you want it enlarged you need the filesize plus the size of the "expanded size" at the same time to perform the expansion?

Apr 30, 2012 12:07 PM in response to Lexiepex

Yes, I want to expand "the one big file" from 200GB to 300GB. Yes, I have only one VM. I have a limited disk.

Despite having deleted a very large file (said "Move to Trash" but the trash looks empty), still says "not enough space on the file system". Wait, let me give you the exact message. Here it is:

"There is not enough space on the file system for the selected operation"

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Fernando N.

Well you do not have enough free space do do that: 200GB plus 300GB (during the operation) is 500GB, and then your OS needs also free space to operate.

You could copy the VM to an external disk, instruct VMware to use that file on an external disk, then delete the VM on your hdd, then instruct VMware to expand the file to 300GB to the hdd. That would do it in Parallels.

Apr 30, 2012 4:10 PM in response to Lexiepex

Let me explain further. First of all, it's not 200GB plus 300GB. It's expading from 200GB *to* 300GB (that is, an additional 100GB). Now, to make room for that I backed up and deleted a 214GB xp3.vmwarevm file. Lion asked me if I wanted to move it to the trash, I said yes. The trash icon, however, never changed. I suspect MacOS does it like Windows - if the file is too big it simply gets deleted right away.

The "in use" area of the hard disk REMAINS high though. Where did this file go? Is there anything I can do to recover that disk space?

Right now I have only one vmwarevm file on disk - the one I need to expand.

Fernando

Apr 30, 2012 4:34 PM in response to Fernando N.

I think the simple fact is you need a bigger physical hard drive. Something in the 750GB to 1TB range.

You should also look at what is using up space in the OS X side of your hard drive. Deleting files from OS X that you no longer need or moving them to an external drive. Have you though about creating another Virtual Disk inside the VM you want to expand. Then you would have a C and D drives in the virtual machine. By doing that you create a new drive of a total size of 100GB and it will only take up about 10MB of space initially until you start moving files to it. then it will grow in size only for the amount of files you move to it.

In all honesty if you need more the 200GB of HDD space for a virtual machine then maybe you should think about some type of external disk to store some of those files on. You can do that, use an external, inside the VM.

In one of my VMs I have 3 virtual disks all of 60GBs in total size and they only use a total of 10GB of physical hard drive space. I only use VMs for programs that I use that don't run on either Mac OS X or Win 7. I run XP in VMs on both platforms.

Apr 30, 2012 4:41 PM in response to Fernando N.

If that xp3.vmwarevm file you deleted was a virtual machine main file you should of used Fusion to Remove that virtual machine. You still may be able to do that if it did not get deleted.

Open Fusion and make the Virtual Machine Library visible (sometimes it doesn't show on screen until you go to menu item Window and click on VM Library). Then highlight that XP3 VM and then Right Click on it and select delete.

Extending a VMWare Fusion 4 disk under Lion (10.7.3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.