6 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 10:27 AM by Klaus1
vactubefan Level 1 (0 points)

Leopard still behaves like a champ, so I'm wondering... is the recent Java issue fix an issue of worry for me or was that bit of nastiness only coded for OS 10.6 and up? I'd appreciate a little clarity. Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Another satisfied Logic user
  • ds store Level 7 (30,325 points)

10.6 and 10.7 users only, Apple has left your 10.5 behind to freeze in the cold since July 2011.

Bet that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside now right?

Harden your Mac against malware attacks

• Niel Level 10 (298,663 points)

The security hole it patches exists on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Turn Java off if you don't use it.

(66104)

• vactubefan Level 1 (0 points)

So there is no fix for 10.5.8 users at all? I DO seem to have Java demands crop up for some sites, so I feel I need to keep it rolling. My question still exists: HOW do I protect myself? Simply dragging Java out of my apps seems a bit severe. Grrr, hackers should have their hands hammered.:P  

• ds store Level 7 (30,325 points)

vactubefan wrote:

So there is no fix for 10.5.8 users at all?

No, Apple supplies the Java updates for Mac users. Only solution is to remove Java.

vactubefan wrote:

...hackers should have their hands hammered.:P  

No, Apple should be supporting all operating systems in major circulation with security updates, the fixes for Java are there from Oracle, Apple is simply not applying them, or any for 10.4 or 10.5 users which make up about 20% of the machines out there.

• vactubefan Level 1 (0 points)

So what's the most direct way to remove Java? As an Applet, it has a 'fuzzy' status to me. Its not an app I can simply delete; it has footprints all over the darned place, such as the QuickTimeJava folder. Can you clartify by one more notch? Thanks for the pointers, too.

• Klaus1 Level 8 (47,760 points)

There is no need to remove it, just disable it in Safari Preferences/Security - but leave Javascript on, which is something completely different and required by websites.

Also, disable the "Open 'safe' files after downloading" option in Safari Preferences/General to avoid automatically running files downloaded from the Internet.