Skip navigation

Local Home Folders Only With Open Directory

985 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 6:40 PM by Tim Fall RSS
Tim Fall Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 30, 2012 1:14 PM

I know this has been asked before, but I was wondering if it is possible to just use Open Directory on Lion Server to do user login authentication and management while having home folders only stored on the local machines. I'm trying to allow the laptops being administered to login using the Open Directory authentication when it can be accessed (at work), and to use local authentication when it is not (at home). In both cases I'm trying to have the home folders be stored on the local machine. There is no need for a user to log in to any machine other than their own.

Additionally, can a user be limited to loging in using the Open Directory authentication on just their machine?

I appreciate the help.

• Strontium90 Level 4 Level 4 (2,895 points)
    Apr 30, 2012 3:44 PM (in response to Tim Fall)

Of course.  This is (was) called mobile accounts.  The concept is as you describe.  The machine is bound to the server and the user logs in initial while on the LAN.  This will create a local home folder but use server credentials.  These credentials are then cached for offline use.

And also yes.  You can limit domain access using the Accounts preference panel.  Once bound, click on Login Options and you will see a new checkbox and button that will allow you to limit specific accounts to specific machines.

• Strontium90 Level 4 Level 4 (2,895 points)
    May 1, 2012 7:28 AM (in response to Tim Fall)

Hmm.  Limiting pushed out in a profile?  Not that I know of.  However, if you have ARD and you know a little defaults magic, this probably can be sent out as a remote command.  I will admit, I've only used the limited user stuff in the lab as I've not found a business need to deploy in the field.  Thus, I've never looked to automate.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.