Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDD Issue?

My daughter's 13 inch MB Pro running 10.7.3 has developed an issue. When starting, it encounters the grey screen of death with the incessent spinning circle.

I have tried booting in safe mode - did not work. I have booted from the CD and am able to access Disk Utility. I tried to verify the disk and received and error message: The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be reapired. (Disk Utility stopped verifying "Macintosh HD." The disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.) Upon trying to Repair Disk, I get a message that says Disk Utility stopped reapiring "Macintosh HD." Count not unmount disk.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.3 GHz Core i7 8 GM RAM

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 5:55 PM

While this may not yield different results, since you have 10.7.3 installed, have you tried Lion recovery mode, which is a reboot holding the command and R keys down. You can run Disk Utility from there, and do the disk repair. If that manages to complete normally, repair permissions while you're there. Then reboot normally.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2012 5:55 PM in response to Wycliffe

While this may not yield different results, since you have 10.7.3 installed, have you tried Lion recovery mode, which is a reboot holding the command and R keys down. You can run Disk Utility from there, and do the disk repair. If that manages to complete normally, repair permissions while you're there. Then reboot normally.

Apr 30, 2012 6:35 PM in response to BGreg

I was able to get to Disk Utility in this manner, however still getting an error message. Disk Utility stopped reapiring "Macinstosh HD" Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of yor files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed up files.

I am guessig she is SOL, but at this point, I don't guess there is anyway to back up the disk information prior to restoring it/reinstalling OSX?

HDD Issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.