Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can Iget my email contacts onto my iphone

How can I get my email account contact addresses onto my email account on my iponge 4s?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:56 PM

16 replies

May 1, 2012 5:04 PM in response to Junette

As you've discovered, a GMail account does not have a Contacts setting (sounds like Hotmail is the same). I've never worked with Hotmail, but GMail has a couple options for you:

1- Connect to iTunes and do a one-time load of your GMail contacts. The downside to this is that any contact changes you make (add, change, or delete) on your phone are not pushed to your GMail account and vice-versa, and they are not backed up anywhere so if you ever have to restore your iPhone then any changes you've made to contacts on your iPhone are lost (unless you use a 3rd party app to back up your contacts).

2- Set your GMail account up as an Exchange account. The benefit to this is that your GMail contacts remain synchronized, so any changes you make on the iPhone are reflected in your GMail account and vice-versa. This also means that you don't have to worry about losing your contacts -- they're always on Google's server. The other benefit is that Exchange gives you Push capability, which means you're notified of incoming messages without having to open the Mail app.

If you're interested in setting up your GMail account as an Exchange account, you can read how to do that here:

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?l=en&topic=14252&answer=138740

I don't know if Hotmail has similar capability, but your GMail contacts are available for use in Hotmail, so maybe find a way to get your Hotmail contacts into GMail.

May 6, 2012 1:01 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Thanks so much for your help. I started the process of opening an Exchange Acc. but when I went to sync my contacts with iTunes I was warned not to sync with google because it would effect my contacts etc that are synced with iCloud and that I could end up with double everything. Then another warning that Google is not responsiblefor any loss of info etc etc....So not reallynowing exactly what all this meant I thought I best opt out and check what you say about all this. I hope you know what I am talking about..its all double dutch to me. lol Thanks again for you help

May 7, 2012 4:42 PM in response to Junette

If you have the same contact across multiple accounts, then yes you may see duplicates of this contact if you're displaying "All Contacts" as opposed to displaying just your iCloud contacts or just your Google contacts. However, I have the same contact in my corporate Exchange account as in my GMail account, but I only see this contact once even when I display "All Contacts" on my iPhone. I suppose if I altered the spelling in one account there would be two entries, but iOS seems smart enough to combine like entries.

Not sure why the dire warning, but how iOS handles duplicates for you could be different if you have contacts on your iPhone as well as in GMail and/or another Exchange account. I don't keep any contacts on my iPhone, they're all in Exchange or in GMail (both are "in the cloud" but not iCloud, which is just another type of account). But if you have a mix of locally-stored contacts that are the same as what you have in the cloud, then iOS may not handle the duplicates as gracefully. Just remember that locally-stored contacts are not saved anywhere else, not even in your backup, unless you have some other backup routine outside of iTunes.

As far as the warning that Google is not responsible for any loss of data, I have not seen that (nor have I experienced loss of data) but I suppose it is just a CYA move on their part. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have further questions, it would be helpful for you to outline your exact situation, i.e. what you've done so far to establish contacts. There can be a lot of variables, so the more information you can provide will help us help you.

May 8, 2012 1:12 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Thanks again for your reply.

OK i have not had my iphone for very long and so far all I have on it (apart from a few apps) is my contacts phone no.s I dont have any email addresses at all. I have one gmail acc and one hotmail acc. but no email addresses for either acc. on my phone. So when I go to send an email from my phone using either acc. I can type in for eg. TO Garry and when I go to SEND I am told not a valid email address. When using email on my computer I can type in TO Garry and automatically his email address appears. This is what I would like to happen on my phone as well. My contacts for my gmail acc. are not all the same as the contacts for my hotmail acc. just in case you needed to know that. As far as I can see I dont have any email addresses in iCloud.

When you say you dont have any contacts on your iPhone they are all in Exchange or in GMail..what does that mean...

I haven't done anything in relation to opening Exchange accounts at all.

Sorry I appear so dumb in relation to these things but its just because I AM.....lol..

May 8, 2012 1:31 PM in response to Junette

Junette wrote:

I have one gmail acc and one hotmail acc. but no email addresses for either acc. on my phone. So when I go to send an email from my phone using either acc. I can type in for eg. TO Garry and when I go to SEND I am told not a valid email address. When using email on my computer I can type in TO Garry and automatically his email address appears. This is what I would like to happen on my phone as well.

Because you don't have any e-mail contacts available to your iPhone, you can't just type a name and have the e-mail address populate automatically (that works on your computer because your contacts are available to your computer). This will be resolved on your iPhone once you add your e-mail accounts as Exchange accounts as described above -- the contacts that you have already in your GMail and Hotmail accounts will then become available to your iPhone to use, without having to sync them through iTunes. As you create new e-mails, just type the person's name and you'll see their e-mail(s) show up, just select the correct entry.

However, since you already have some Contacts on your iPhone (phone numbers only) you may find that you have two entries for the same person -- one with a phone number only, and the other with their e-mail. To resolve that, use your computer to edit your GMail and/or Hotmail contact entry for that person and manually add their phone number. Magically, that change will show up on your iPhone and then you can delete the contact entry on your iPhone that has only their phone number. You may want to do this for all your phone number entries, a one-time investment that will help you in the long run. Even if you have some contacts with no e-mail, you can enter those in either your GMail or Hotmail contacts. That way they're backed up automatically.

Junette wrote:

When you say you dont have any contacts on your iPhone they are all in Exchange or in GMail..what does that mean...

It means that my contacts are only saved in my GMail or Corporate Exchange account -- they are available on my iPhone, but they're not stored there. When I create a new contact on my iPhone, I have a choice of associating the contact with one of my Exchange accounts (which pushes the new entry to the server instead of being saved on my iPhone) or I can save the entry on my iPhone (which I don't do since those types of entries are never backed up).

May 9, 2012 8:18 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Thank you so so much for your help. I can now create an email on my iphone and, like you said, I just start to type the first part of the name and...next thing,,there it is....wonderful.

Just one more question. If I want to forward an email to several of my contacts, is there a way I can see the list of contacts and their email addresses so I can, say, highlight or check or something, several names for the email to be forwarded to??

how can Iget my email contacts onto my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.