Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my computer not Start possible ssd issue?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post to the Apple community!

I'm a dj and my mac stores alllllllllllllllll of my music. Needless to say I NEED this computer to work flawlessly.

I have upgraded my 13" pros ram to 8, I have put an ocz vertex 250 SSD drive into the main slot to work as my operating system and holds my programs etc...

i took out the disc drive and moved my 7500 rpm 500 gb Hdd there and it holds ONLY my music files. I did this for fast computer response and not having to carry an external drive that could be pulled out by some drunk chick lol

anyways. it's been like this for i'd say about 6 months and has been fantastic from the get go. fast starts no issues whatsoever.

HERE IS WHERE MY ISSUE STARTS IF YOU DON"T WANNA READ MY LONG STORY:

i started my computer today, it just stayed on the white screen then the spiral thingy then just stayed there. i restarted, same thing, i saw a video on youtube of someone having the same issue and some genius in the posted:

restart holding command S and when the root starts type fsck -fy after i did that it did a full check on my system and repaired any issues i may have been having (apparently) that's what the dude on youtube said it would do.

i typed exit and my mac restarted just like normal and is fine! woohoo

MY QUESTION AND REASON I"M POSTING is simply why did this happen in the first place? i have well over 60 gb of free space on ssd main drive and do disk utilites repairs weekly the pro is a unibody late 2009 model.

i wonder if it's the ssd as ive seen threads talking about low life expectancies on ssd's or could it be something else? like the logic board? is what happened to me a foreshadow as to what's coming in the near future? a crash! 😟

i can't have this happen before i step into a dj booth and hundreds of people are expecting a show.

i appreciate if anyone knows anything

i really don't wanna put a regular HDD back since i've been spoilt with the speed of an SSD but if you think its the reason then of course i'll take a step back intime... thanks again

gmani

djgmani.com

MacBook Pro, 8 gb ram SSD drive

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 8:13 PM

Since a disk repair fixed the problem the drive must have had an error after you last ran DU. All you can do is continue on and wait for it to happen again.

If you don't want to get caught with a system you cannot boot then always maintain a bootable backup on an external drive. Use a backup utility like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to create the "clone" of your ssd. Now if something happens to your "real" (ssd) boot drive you can just boot from the external. Not only that you can then run DU on that booted external to repair the ssd and you don't have to do that check from a safe boot.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2012 8:13 PM in response to djGmani

Since a disk repair fixed the problem the drive must have had an error after you last ran DU. All you can do is continue on and wait for it to happen again.

If you don't want to get caught with a system you cannot boot then always maintain a bootable backup on an external drive. Use a backup utility like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to create the "clone" of your ssd. Now if something happens to your "real" (ssd) boot drive you can just boot from the external. Not only that you can then run DU on that booted external to repair the ssd and you don't have to do that check from a safe boot.

Why did my computer not Start possible ssd issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.