Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATI RADEON 5770 stops boot menu

I recently upgraded the original video card (nVidia) to the ATI Radeon 5770 on my Mac Pro 1.1

Everything works great, except for the fact that for some reason I cannot dual boot (i.e. hold down Option key while restarting to bring up the boot menu) to either choose OSX or Windows7 (via Bootcamp). I've read similar reports on other forums about this issue but nobody can actually tell me why.

I'm running Lion with the latest updates. It was dual-booting fine BEFORE I installed the ATI card. But now, no go. The only way I can boot into Windows is to insert the original Windows7 disk, and open up Startup Disk; only then does the Windows disk come up; but curiously this is the only time the Bootcamp partition is seen by OSX.

Anyone else experience this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 7:34 PM

10 replies

May 1, 2012 4:18 PM in response to The hatter

Hi Hatter,

Windows is on a seperate internal drive. The drive's a 1tb, with 200gig partitioned for windows. Drive bay 3.

It's a standard Bootcamp partition, re-formatted during the Windows7 install (as NTFS). Don't know about Paragon.

Lion is on it's own drive, in drive bay 1.

I've tried going to the control panel for startup disks, but it only shows OSX. Can't see Windows unless i put the Windows CD in; only then can I pick it and restart to it.

May 1, 2012 4:38 PM in response to karldman

What you see, I've seen and no idea when it went away just why it did, think it had to do with installing Paragon NTFS. Try the demo.

It is more cosmetic.

And Windows control panel, that always works.

Move Windows to drive bay #2?

What else is on drive (#3) besides Windows? but that was created in Windows, and during the install or with Windows Computer Management? OS X can get confused by making changes.

Mar 3, 2015 9:43 AM in response to karldman

Hi I know this post is very old but I bought this card from macupgrades.co.uk and they warned me in advance that once the card is installed you see a black screen until the drive has booted up. This means it's almost impossible to boot from CD/DVD/USB. Desperately looking for a workaround but not sure I can see one... :-( All this because Apple and Adobe fast and relentless upgrades forced me to upgrade to Lion on my Mac Pro.

I can see I may have to uninstall the card to boot up with the screen in view, then re-install it, otherwise. zzzzz

ATI RADEON 5770 stops boot menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.