Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separate iTunes accounts or users for my children?

Hi

I have two children each with their own iPod touch. They have different apps and games to my iPhone but all devices share the same Apple account name - Mine (as it's got my bank card details on it). All purchases have been made using the same Apple ID.

Can I set up another Apple ID for myself but use it for the children? If so, can they still use the apps and music originally purchased for them using my Apple ID.

If not, is it possible to easily manage their apps and music through my account in iTunes as now have three devices showing, or to set up two other accounts in Lion, so they can manage their own devices easily. They do no know my iTunes password so any purchases / downloads they make at the moment require me to key in the password on their devices every time.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 8:23 PM

10 replies

Jan 26, 2013 6:29 PM in response to Kidhelp

yeah, unfortunately they will. My kids have their own computers, so we just installed iTunes for them, created their accounts then they used their iTunes gift cards to "authenticate" their accounts.

Once their accounts were setup, I set up home sharing in my iTunes, then connected each of theirs to the home share (using my credentials). This allows them to download my music and apps to their iTunes/iPods.

You are posting in iTunes for Mac, so I assume you have a mac. If they don't have their own computers, might be easiest to set up different profiles for them on your Mac. But you could also do the same for Windows (different user profiles).

Jan 26, 2013 7:07 PM in response to Kidhelp

Different profiles for the computer itself. In "System Preferences" under "Users & Groups" you can add/remove users to the computer.

But, In typing this response it actually dawned on me that it won't work (that I know of). Because I'm not sure that home sharing works on the same computer with different profiles. If you enable home sharing in your iTunes, you'll need to log out, then log in your kids profile start their iTunes. But as soon as you log out, it will effectivly shut down your version of iTunes.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Depending on what iPod they have, you might be able to enable Home sharing on it. Then they won't need to wipe their iPods, and can still get your apps/music.

If they don't have apple id's, you can create one here.

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

added info.

Separate iTunes accounts or users for my children?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.