Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't printer drivers installing onto my MAC?

I'm having a massive problem with my MAC OS X 10.5 not installing onto the Canon MP480 printer driver.

For a while, when I would go to print, I would get the "Printer Offline Message." I do not know why I was getting that message. My printer was on an connected to my MAC. My cable was and is fine, and so are all the USB ports.

I uninstalled/removed all remnants of the printer from my computer and went to Canon's site to down load the drivers again. After several tries, I was able to get it to work. Then, a week later, the "offline" message comes back! This time, I just downloaded the drivers with out removing anything from my computer. It worked and I was able to print 3 pages. After waiting 5 minutes, I went to print my 4th page and I had the "Offline" message again. I restarted my computer, and printer to see if that would help, but it did not.

Now, I have deleted EVERYTHING printer based from my MAC and tried all the drivers again. They "install" or seem to install. After I do the "restart" after the installation, the printer does not show up. I can go through my MAC and find all these Canon items, but my printer will not show up.

I've gone through the "printer and fax" ordeal and the printer won't show up. I've had the "default" tab selected, not printer. I've even searched for installed drivers on my MAC, and Canon NEVER shows up. 3 random printer names show up--I have never used another printer with this MAC.

I'm getting really ticked off at this moment. I've tried this about 15 times with the same results.

Does anyone have anything different I can try?

If I can get a driver to install properly, can anyone tell me if there is an "online" option I can do when my printer says it's offline?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 10:48 PM

7 replies

Apr 30, 2012 11:02 PM in response to CaroleEllen

Hi Carole,

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

Mac OS X: Cannot print, use Classic, start file sharing, burn discs, or update software if /tmp missing...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21161?viewlocale=en_US

May 1, 2012 12:42 AM in response to CaroleEllen

Canon printers are wonderful, but the drivers are -just- compatible.

When you installed the driver, did you also install the scanner driver?

And uninstall, did you uninstall the scanner driver? and remove it from the Accounts/login items ?

Do you have Printopia or Airprint Activator on your mac?

and do you have 10.6 or 10.5? If 10.6 you should update your profile.

What BD proposed is right on, I would suggest to run 10.6.8 Combo Update also, even if you have OS already updated.

May 1, 2012 7:22 PM in response to Lexiepex

I'm running 10.5.8

My fiance has 10.6 and he is having the same problem I am.

And as far as I know, I don't have Printopia or Airprint Activator on my MAC.

We can download the driver over and over again but it never shows in the "printers and fax" option in system preferances.

We can go into the library and find a good amount of Canon items and see that we have downloaded something dealing with the printer, but no printer ever shows.

I even wiped my MAC last night because I was so fristerated with it. I thought that since I didn't have much on there anyways, why not just clear EVERYTHING off and start fresh.

I downloaded the drivers again and I'm still having the same problem. It just keeps saying "no printers" and when I search for drivers loaded, there are none.

I have absolutly no idea what I am supposed to do, other than bring it to an Apple store and have them try to figure it out.

Thanks to the both of you for all them help. If you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate them as well.

May 2, 2012 12:18 AM in response to CaroleEllen

CaroleEllen, Perhaps it is a setting on the printer itself. Check all printer settings with the printer manual in hand. In the printer manual it also says whether the printer must be connected or not, when installing the printer driver. And check the cable, is the cable in the right port on the printer?. After installing a printer driver you must restart the computer. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Why won't printer drivers installing onto my MAC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.