5 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 1:17 PM by John Galt
kat.hayes Level 1 (0 points)

I just noticed that on the left side of each folder, there is a section titled "Shared" and it is showing what looks like the computer names of two PC laptops from someone I know. I have never actually done file sharing with these computers, so I'm not sure why they are displaying here? Why do these display here? I come in contact with lots of people all day long and I do not see their computers in this list.

Thanks.

• John Galt Level 8 (45,936 points)

Those PC laptops have been configured for sharing.

Without a user name and password and the computer owner's permission you won't be able to do anything with them.

• kat.hayes Level 1 (0 points)

The laptops were showing up last night, even though I was at least 5 miles away from the person with the laptops. They are no longer showing up now though.

Yes. The nature of networking is that computers may come and go unpredictably, so the Finder "remembers" them for a period of time. If they fail to appear for a while, it will forget about them.

• kat.hayes Level 1 (0 points)

Just for clarification though, can I somehow share files at a distance over the internet with another PC?

Yes, but that requires specific software for that purpose on both computers, such as Back to my Mac using iCloud on OS X, or commercial software such as GoToMyPC.

No one can remotely access your Mac without your specific authorization. At a minimum this requires a user name and password, plus enabling specific Sharing selections in System Preferences, plus network access using a router configured with the proper settings.