Mine works that way, iMessages appear in a separate window using blue message balloos, and text messages from non-iMessage sources appear in a window using green balloons. Except when the messaging is mixed, such as parites using iMessage devices and parties using non-iMessage devices...then all messages appear in teh same window but all using green text balloons.
Thats weird, cuz this only happens with my boyfriend and I. Others who have iphones and are connected to imessage appear in the same window... Also on my boyfriends iphone I appear in the same window with regular green sms's as well as with the blue imessages, I simply cant figure out why it started dividing his on my device. Any thoughts ?
I am not convinced there are not bugs in iMessage at this point...mine shifts back and forth for some people, fine for others...and iMessages never appear on my iPad unless sent from another iPad for some reason.
I am not sure just what to do about it right now other than live with it. It just seem to get confused at times.
Yes, this is one of the more infuriating SNAFUs with all the Apple crap. Right up there with stealing focus from the app I'm using, and absolutely refusing to give us ISO8601 International STANDARD date/time formatting on iOS!! >:-(
Here are some things to try for this Messages situation:
1) create a new address book card (make sure ALL your devices sync contacts via iCloud) and name it "Boyfriend 1 iMessage" (make one for each boyfriend, and have them all do the same thing for you)
2) DELETE that contact address from ALL other contacts--i.e. dissociate it from "you" in Contacts (ditto)
3) Set iMessages and Messages to use THAT address as your primary for messages (ditto)
4) Start a new message thread using that new (iMessage address only) contact.
5) When Apple unceremoniously CHANGES YOUR SETTINGS (reverts back to use phone number to start new messages) repeat above. ;-p