Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extract preview annotations as text

Is there a way to extract Preview annotations as text? The Extract PDF Annotations Automator action does extract the text of note annotations, but as far as I can see, it does not extract highlighted text. Rather, it simply makes a note in the extract results of where the highlights are.

Posted on May 1, 2012 4:59 AM

3 replies

Oct 14, 2016 10:40 AM in response to Horacio_nm

Hello all,

I used to use this same Automator-based workflow in my earlier versions of OSX to extract my PDF highlights, but I see that it is not working anymore on macOS Sierra. At least, a basic test made with "Get Specified Finder Items" > "Extract PDF Annotations" completes but the text contents only shows "?" marks instead the original text. The function "Extract PDF Text" works normally.

Someone else has a solution?

Oct 18, 2016 12:59 PM in response to opcg

Same issue with me. Automator is able to extract text, notes but not highlights (Mac OS 10.11.6).

Skim doesn't work that well either, it misses half of the highlights. The app "highlights app" on the app store works really well, but costs money.

Why can't Automator just do it? It seems unbelievable that Apple couldn't get this one together.

Extract preview annotations as text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.