Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't restore from iCloud :-(

During the setup process of a brand new replacement iPad 2, I enter my Apple ID credentials and get to the restore from iCloud screen only to find it is not showing me the backups I really have - all it's showing me are backups of my old iPhone 4, up to Dec last year.

The new iPad does not "see" the newer backups of the previous iPad 2 I had, nor my current iPhone 4S.

Yet on my iPhone, I can go into the iCloud management area and see the backups all there... I feel like I'm going crazy! So what's going on? Any one got any clues??

Thanks

Craig

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 1, 2012 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2012 6:54 AM

I worked out the answer: the replacement machine had an older (v5.0) of the iOS and wouldn't see the newer backups. Solution is to setup the iPad as a new iPad temporarily, run the OS update, then completely reset all data and settings so that it goes through the restore process from scratch again. Hope that helps someone...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2012 6:54 AM in response to dfcraig

I worked out the answer: the replacement machine had an older (v5.0) of the iOS and wouldn't see the newer backups. Solution is to setup the iPad as a new iPad temporarily, run the OS update, then completely reset all data and settings so that it goes through the restore process from scratch again. Hope that helps someone...

Apr 2, 2013 3:46 PM in response to dfcraig

Thanks. I replaced a broken iPad with Applecare and Apple said I didn't have an icloud backup when I had just completed one. I am certain this is why, the replacement is on an older version. Someone should tell Apple this.

The other concern is that they erased my broken ipad before they tried to restore my new one. They also boxed up the broken one while it was erasing, so I hope it completed successfully. I'm disappointed in the lack of care they provide.

Can't restore from iCloud :-(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.