Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari hangs, or very slow

Hi All,

I am running Safari 5.0.6 on OSX 10.5.8. I have had this problem for the past year and has become gradually worst, on 2 separate machines. I have reseted Safari numerous times, I have repaired permission, re-booted computer, and as suggested by a Genius at apple store, re-booted in "safe booth" to clean up stuff. It appeared to work for about 1 month, untill it slows to a crawl, and become unresponsive. Problem is now it does not seem to cut it anymore. I performed all of theses operations on both My desktop (power PC G5) and my laptop Macbook (intel) again yesterday. On my desktop , Safari is working marginally, but on my laptop it is not at all. The laptop is a more recent machine, but is less responsive.

When I use other browsers, like google chrome or firefox, I can surf the web no problem.

Anybody has any idea on how to clean Safari up to run anew again?

Michel

2-G5 1.8ghz, 1.5GB ram, 2-23Cinema displ, Epson 900, Sony TRV-17, MacBook 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 1, 2012 7:01 AM

4 replies

May 1, 2012 7:12 AM in response to Michel Vézina

Hi Michael ...

I see that you did the "reset" but have you emptied the cache?

If not, go to your Safari menu bar, click Safari > Empty Cache. Quit thren relaunch Safari to test.

If that doesn't help, try troubleshooting the Safari .plist (preferences)

Go to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Move the com.apple.Safari.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari. If that helped, move the .plist file to the Trash. If not, move it back to the Preferences folder.

If that didn't help either, try troubleshooting third party plugins > Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

If it's not third party plugins causing Safari to hang, try Safari in another user account. If you see the same problems there that can be an indication that the startup disk needs repairing.

Log back into your admin account. Launch Disk Utility located in /Applications/Utlities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If the startup disk needs repairing, follow the instructions for Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

And make sure there's enough free space on the startup disk. Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. Make sure there's a minimum of 15% free disk space.

May 1, 2012 9:03 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn... thanks for the help

When I reset Safari it does empty my cache.

I also ran ONYX which verified my disk, and everything is fine, and plenty of disk space.

but I looked into users/michel/library/cookies and removed the "cookies.plist" as suggested by another user... that seem to have done the trick for now... but for how long???!!

I just tried to remove the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

and it has become verrrrrryyyyyy slooooowwwww!

Michel

Safari hangs, or very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.