Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing infrared filter

This may not be the right forum for this kind of question, but I'd like to know if anyone knows anything

about why you might want to remove the infrared filter on a Canon camera.

I recently edited some footage with a camera that had this done, and the footage was

a big more reddish and soft. What is the advantage to doing this?

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 1, 2012 9:32 AM

6 replies

May 1, 2012 3:01 PM in response to maven3

you remove the Infra red filter to allow the camera sensor to detect IR radiation.

If the IR filter is inplace no IR is detected.

the common examples are; photographing scenes of crime, chemical solutions or astronomical images where two cameras produce an IR image and a red image and a comparison is made between the two.

thats the scientific use but no good reason to remove the filter in a non scientific application.

May 14, 2012 10:18 AM in response to maven3

Back in the days of film, there was a type of photography called "infrared photography," wherein photographers used infrared film (which picked up near-infrared light, but not most visible light) in combination with an infrared-pass filter on their lens (which blocked out most visible light, allowing only near-infrared and infrared light to pass). The resulting look is surreal and otherworldly. Some examples are found here: http://www.pbase.com/yp8/some_bw

In the digital era, infrared photography enthusiasts have to use different means. Most digital sensors are capable of picking up infrared light, but camera manufacturers place an anti-infrared filter in front of the digital sensor, because allowing this infrared light to hit the sensor causes blurring, lower contrast, and other generally undesirable effects. Today's infrared enthusiasts often mod their digital cameras by removing this anti-infrared filter from the sensor and placing an infra-red pass filter on their lens, thus creating a digital version of the old film + filter set up.

This is likely what was going on behind the camera you mentioned. Art, not science.

Jul 3, 2012 3:59 AM in response to maven3

Dear Guys

I have a problem, after I purchased IR720 ( Infrared filter ) app from app store. they wrote if this apps have a function able to see trough under clothes, but it doesnt works at all. its like regular build in camera in my iphone. you guys can search in apps store IR720. I just worry this app is fake or fraud. I already find support from apple support but they dont answer.

could you guys help me for this issue? cause I dont want this happen to other one who purchase this apps.

many thanks

Removing infrared filter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.